"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Cook

First crock pot roast

You all have been so helpful that I feel badly asking again for help. I would not ask if I was certain of the steps and ingredients. I purchased a 2.45 lb beef roast today that I am going to put into the crock pot shortly. I read some instructions and it sounds easy.....but I am not convinced.

I plan to put the meat into the crock pot fatty side up. I will cut slits into the meat and insert smashed garlic pieces. Then I will cover the meat with some black peppercorn, small red potatoes, carrots, celery, and turnips. In about 4 hours I will add sliced gala apples and prunes.

I was told that on the low setting, the roast will be done in about 6.5 to 7 hours. Should I add any liquid? Increase the temperature? Omit adding one of my ingredients or increase my ingredients? Is 6.5 hours adequate?

I am sorry for all the questions but I want this to turn out as good as my pasta last night. You all were a large part in my pasta success so I hope you do not mind that I turn to you all again for assistance.

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'd brown it first. Browning meat is where the meaty flavor comes from.

Science of Meat: What Gives Meat its Flavor? | Exploratorium

Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You're probably going to have as many "right ways" of doing this as posters. Here's my take.
I love onions cooked with my crock pot roasts, so I usually throw either some small or quartered onions in with mine, too. And I put the carrots and potatoes on the bottom, then the roast on top, so the roast isn't swimming in the juices. It will still come out moist. I add about 1/2c of water, the veggies will give you a lot more liquid as they cook. Beef broth would work, too, if you have it. So would sprinkling some granulated bullion (sp) on top of everything, but I don't do that all the time. It does add more flavor though, as would a couple dashes of worcestershire. I've never been big on putting garlic in meat because I don't like the way the flavor is concentrated all in one area, but I do add several cloves to the whole shebang. A very special treat for whoever is lucky enough to get one or two.
And don't peek, no matter how good it starts to smell.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvabigdog View Post
You all have been so helpful that I feel badly asking again for help. I would not ask if I was certain of the steps and ingredients. I purchased a 2.45 lb beef roast today that I am going to put into the crock pot shortly. I read some instructions and it sounds easy.....but I am not convinced.

I plan to put the meat into the crock pot fatty side up. I will cut slits into the meat and insert smashed garlic pieces. Then I will cover the meat with some black peppercorn, small red potatoes, carrots, celery, and turnips. In about 4 hours I will add sliced gala apples and prunes.

I was told that on the low setting, the roast will be done in about 6.5 to 7 hours. Should I add any liquid? Increase the temperature? Omit adding one of my ingredients or increase my ingredients? Is 6.5 hours adequate?

I am sorry for all the questions but I want this to turn out as good as my pasta last night. You all were a large part in my pasta success so I hope you do not mind that I turn to you all again for assistance.

Thanks.
Since you had never heard of Gilligan's Island, I am not sure you can be in the kitchen by yourself. Do we need to wait while you go get Mom?
Actually, you don't need a lot of liquid, maybe just a splash. The rest sounds great. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Cook

Ok....check. I will brown it in a skillet first but just brown. I will add 1/2 cup of water and put the vegetables on the bottom and include a cut up onion. I do not have any bullion cubes but have worsteschire sauce so I will sprinkle a little on there.

Regarding my mother. She is 2500 miles away in Foggia Italy with the rest of my family. If she were to come here Chopper, she would scare the hell out of you. She scares the hell out of me. I fear 3 things in this world: The wrath of God, snakes, and my mother.....and in that exact order. I'm a former linebacker and 6'6" @ 260 so not much scares me. Picture a 5'2" 160 pound woman of 60 years old throwing me around like I'm a piece of tissue paper. She scares the daylights out of me. (my new idiom)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Master Chef

Strumming fingers and anxiously waiting for a report.

bigdog, I think I can safely say, that nothing here at DC gives us more pleasure than to help a brand new cook, and watch the first steps of success. Often, those of us who have cooked for a very long time, forget how intimidating it was at first. It seems like second nature now, and it will for you someday too. Just want to give you a big pat on the back, and stick around, you are so welcome here. It's nice to be needed.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ok....check. I will brown it in a skillet first but just brown. I will add 1/2 cup of water and put the vegetables on the bottom and include a cut up onion. I do not have any bullion cubes but have worsteschire sauce so I will sprinkle a little on there.

Regarding my mother. She is 2500 miles away in Foggia Italy with the rest of my family. If she were to come here Chopper, she would scare the hell out of you. She scares the hell out of me. I fear 3 things in this world: The wrath of God, snakes, and my mother.....and in that exact order. I'm a former linebacker and 6'6" @ 260 so not much scares me. Picture a 5'2" 160 pound woman of 60 years old throwing me around like I'm a piece of tissue paper. She scares the daylights out of me. (my new idiom)
I hope you realize that I was just kidding about all of this. After reading your other thread where we were talking about Gilligan's Island, I thought you would understand the joke. Didn't mean to come accross wrong.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Regarding my mother. She is 2500 miles away in Foggia Italy with the rest of my family.
)
Where does your family live? I was in Frosinone for three years. My ex in-laws live there.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Cook

Goodness Chopper.....I know you were joking!!! All is good!! The problem with writing is that we can not see smiling and laughter through the computer screen. I was joking back. Please, please, please do not take offense at my remarks. I appreciate your humor and your wit....please don't take offense because I did not at your comments. If you know Italians, we joke about our mothers frequently. It's a sign of adoration.

And Kayelle, what a very kind thing for you to say. Yes, it is intimidating but very rewarding. Also somewhat self serving. I love to eat and I'm active so I burn a lot of calories. I would eat a full meal before going to dinner with my wife on a date so she wouldn't see how much I really ate. I know when I hit 30 years old that I will have to slow down on my consumption and caloric intake.

We board 21 horses that belong to others.....mostly women. When my wife travels for work and I am alone here, the women bring me dinners that are absolutely wonderful. I get such an abundance that I cannot possibly finish it all. It is difficult for me to remember what tupperware belongs to whom. I want to learn how to cook as well as they do. And all of you are helping me get there. I am very very grateful.

Honestly Chopper. I enjoy your wit and hurmor. Thanks for making me fell so very welcome here.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Cook

Oh sorry. My family lives in the Puligia region outside of Foggia. We have a vineyard and small winery.

Tags
roast