"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #31
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
There is very little farmed fish that is healthy to eat, regardless of where it is raised. US raised catfish and Norwegian salmon being exceptions.
Another exception is Barramundi, a white fleshed Aussie species that has taken very well to farming. It has an excellent, buttery flavor and good levels of omega-3.

It's not very well known yet, though I predict it will be. My local co-op has only recently started getting it in. If you run across it, make sure it's from the US or Australia.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

There seems to be some 'confusion' in the discussion.

A fish that has more of its own taste - such as salmon - does not mean it tastes 'fishy'

A 'fishy' taste is basically the smell that comes from fish having gone 'off' via being left out in warm temps - or even cool but not cold enough - or being 'old'

This discussion has bounced between suggestion of using cod - with ZERO taste - and avoiding fish with a 'strong' taste - and the other string - including my own - which has just said to be sure the various fishes - strong taste or whatever - are eaten with their FRESH taste preserved - via proper handling.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Another exception is Barramundi, a white fleshed Aussie species that has taken very well to farming. It has an excellent, buttery flavor and good levels of omega-3.

It's not very well known yet, though I predict it will be. My local co-op has only recently started getting it in. If you run across it, make sure it's from the US or Australia.
Oh yes! I forgot about that. A few years ago it was fairly easy to find around here, but now not so much. However, if you can find it, it's really delicious. Has a lovely, meaty texture and firm white flesh.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Pollack is a lovely, meaty, white fish, not very strong in flavour. Good substitute for cod

Tags
fish