Fish recipes that don't taste fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fish thaf doesnt taste like fish.

I cook fish in my home very often. I prefer stronger tasting fish unlike my family. For my son I prepare tilapia fillets simply in foil with butter,salt and pepper and slices of lemon and dill wrapped up and grilled. Very nice lemony butter and dill flavor with almost no fish taste.

tuna swordfish mackerel etc are all strong fish...black spot, and other oily fish. I love them,,,many people do not. But there are lots of tasty clean light fish out there...walleye is another great delicate fish. Find those you like and enjoy.

tuna swordfish mackerel etc are all strong fish...black spot, and other oily fish. I love them,,,many people do not. But there are lots of tasty clean light fish out there...walleye is another great delicate fish. Find those you like and enjoy.

Walleye is, for me, the best fish. The next favorite is cod. I grew up eating fresh-caught walleye in Northern MN. I bring it back to SE Ontario everytime I go--yeah--there is Ontario walleye, but there is something special about catching walleye in Lake of the Woods, helping my dad/cousin/god father clean it, and bringing it home. Walleye, to me, is as good as lobster--sweet. And, it is never fishy...or at least it has never been so in my experience.

CWS4322 said:
Walleye is, for me, the best fish. The next favorite is cod. I grew up eating fresh-caught walleye in Northern MN. I bring it back to SE Ontario everytime I go--yeah--there is Ontario walleye, but there is something special about catching walleye in Lake of the Woods, helping my dad/cousin/god father clean it, and bringing it home. Walleye, to me, is as good as lobster--sweet. And, it is never fishy...or at least it has never been so in my experience.

Sigh...Lake of the Woods walleye...

Sigh...Lake of the Woods walleye...
You know what I mean...nothing better...or maybe it is the experience of going out in the boat and catching it...I've already reserved my time at The Lake for next August...care to join me? Dogs are welcome!

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
You know what I mean...nothing better...or maybe it is the experience of going out in the boat and catching it...I've already reserved my time at The Lake for next August...care to join me? Dogs are welcome!

Wouldn't that be a blast!

Also, if you are eating fish for health reasons, avoid Tilapia that isn't raised in the US.
There is very little farmed fish that is healthy to eat, regardless of where it is raised. US raised catfish and Norwegian salmon being exceptions.

US farm raised shellfish (oysters, mussels, etc.) are fine. Shrimp from anywhere outside US is a very bad choice.

There is very little farmed fish that is healthy to eat, regardless of where it is raised. US raised catfish and Norwegian salmon being exceptions.

US farm raised shellfish (oysters, mussels, etc.) are fine. Shrimp from anywhere outside US is a very bad choice.

Very true, but US tilapia is less risky than eating tilapia farmed overseas. Sadly almost all tilapia sold in the US comes from outside the country, which makes eating tilapia a bad gamble.

Another exception is Barramundi, a white fleshed Aussie species that has taken very well to farming. It has an excellent, buttery flavor and good levels of omega-3.

It's not very well known yet, though I predict it will be. My local co-op has only recently started getting it in. If you run across it, make sure it's from the US or Australia.

There seems to be some 'confusion' in the discussion.

A fish that has more of its own taste - such as salmon - does not mean it tastes 'fishy'

A 'fishy' taste is basically the smell that comes from fish having gone 'off' via being left out in warm temps - or even cool but not cold enough - or being 'old'

This discussion has bounced between suggestion of using cod - with ZERO taste - and avoiding fish with a 'strong' taste - and the other string - including my own - which has just said to be sure the various fishes - strong taste or whatever - are eaten with their FRESH taste preserved - via proper handling.

Another exception is Barramundi, a white fleshed Aussie species that has taken very well to farming. It has an excellent, buttery flavor and good levels of omega-3.

It's not very well known yet, though I predict it will be. My local co-op has only recently started getting it in. If you run across it, make sure it's from the US or Australia.
Oh yes! I forgot about that. A few years ago it was fairly easy to find around here, but now not so much. However, if you can find it, it's really delicious. Has a lovely, meaty texture and firm white flesh.

Pollack is a lovely, meaty, white fish, not very strong in flavour. Good substitute for cod

Back
Top Bottom