Fish Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh, you're probably right.

damn, i was just looking to see if big jim posted a recipe for corned beef "hash"...

lol!!!

i wonder if fish sauce goes with pizza and m&m's. (getting back on topic)

Last edited:
How about with Thai BBQ chicken pizza? Some may think I'm joking but IIRC that's one of the menu varieties at California Pizza Kitchen, and one of my favorites although I haven't been to CPK in years. I tried to look it up online but they've got one of those websites that are impossible to use from a low bandwidth Internet connection. I think they sell the same thing frozen in supermarkets.

Actually fish sauce (nam pla) is a good thing to use in Thai sauces. I'd start out a peanut dipping sauce with peanut butter, coconut milk, fish sauce, some form of chili... (I've got to quit this. I'm starting to get a craving!) And completing my thought, you'd need some sauce and some BBQ chicken to make that pizza I was discussing, and some onions...

I don't think you'd want fish sauce anywhere near your M&Ms. Or at least I wouldn't. YMMV

We need a "smiley" for this acronym: lolstc (laughing out loud scaring the cats).

I can almost breathe again. I have tears running down my cheeks. DH is wondering what sort of people I hang out with on the intertubes.

Fish sauce should be refrigerated after opening. It will last longer that way.

Fish sauce should be refrigerated after opening. It will last longer that way.
Oh no please don't do that. Fish sauce is almost like balsamic vinegar so it last a long time in a dry cool place. This is the one time I can't imagine how cold pressed something will taste, not good at all. That's like putting olive oil in the fridge. Fish sauce is really cheap so even if you don't use it in 6 mos, throw it out if it gets to be like deep dark cola and lose it's light red transparent viscosity. The freshness is mostly gone. That's how I've handled that issue.

I'm with Jenny on this.

No, I don't swig it from the bottle. But I do tip the bottle onto my finger, and lick it off.

There are different fish sauces, varying by depth of flavor, color, saltiness, etc. Has to do with the proportions of the ingredients used, how long the fermentation took place, and, I'm sure, other factors.

It's sort of like the differences between various soy sauces.

Generally I'm a fan of Three Crabs brand, which is the classic Nuoc Mam of Viet Nam. Recently I bought some Thai fish sauce for a recipe, and they're very different. So much so that if I put some of each in a shot glass, you'd think they were different products just by looking at them.

BTW, fish sauce, like anchovies, is used more as a salt element than a fishy one. It's one of those ingredients that you can't quite identify in a dish, but notice if it's missing.

Nuoc mam (Vietnam) has more solids than nam pla (Thailand). Not saying you can't get either one from either country. I buy both from Thailand mainly because my cooking interests lie with Thai cooking.

I completely agree with you about tasting your ingredients. Even though it seemed unpalatable, I tried my nam pla in a spoon, and found it wasn't that fishy at all, more salty than anything else, but with an extra dimension.

Back
Top Bottom