"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I likes me some crispy skin, too!
Mrs Hoot don't care for the skin, so I get her share as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
According to Dr. Weil, "both the skin and fat of fish collect toxins that accumulate in the waters of rivers, streams and oceans. These contaminants can also be found in the flesh of fish but not always at levels as concentrated as they are in the skin and fat. For that reason, eating the skin of the fish is not considered healthy. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advises consumers to remove the skin, fat and internal organs before cooking fish that they've caught in the wild."
I have said this before....It ain't the first time I been told "Hoot, you ought not eat that; it ain't good for you."

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm like Steve. Like all kinds of crispy skin.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Skin if it's crispy and "rendered" then it's delicious. Too bad the frequency of that happening outside my kitchen is about as good as the odds of you finding good fish in your supermarket, OP.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Isn't that the truth, acer. Like coconut oil on movie popcorn was taboo and is now a must have for the health nuts. And coffee changes daily it seems. And we used to limit our day to 3 meals a day but now it should be 5. Diet soda was suppose to be good for your diet and now it actually makes you gain weight, destroys DNA, kidney function, etc etc. You just never know for sure.
So, MollyAnne (what a nice name!) are health "nuts" the same as "nazis"? I ask, because my g.d. Sunny, a H.S. senior, is a self professed "food nazi" and would cheerfully demolish your source who claimed that coconut oil is now a "must have". When coconut oil fell into disrepute in the eighties, manufacturers replace it with trans-fats, not knowing that they were equally or more dangerous, but though some of the stigma has been removed from its use, just about all health organizations warn about taking "significant amounts" of the oil. Of course, the problematic word here is "significant". How many movies do you see in a theater per week? DVDs may actually be healthy! "Significant amount" also probably applies to the eating of fish skin, too, but I haven't seen any studies suggesting benefits of heavy metals and pesticides!
I suspect that there are two (at least) major problems with evaluating the value of foodstuffs , the tendency of food scientists to study nutrients individually rather than as a part of the food in which they are found, and the public's tendency to parrot the latest guru's claims rather than make an attempt to understand what is being discussed. Everyone, surely, knows the term "omega fatty acids" for the substances derived from fish oil, but most have absolutely no idea what an omega fatty acid is (are there alpha fatty acids, and if not why not and do we really care?), and it is so easy to find out in this age of Professor Google!
Sunny,"The Kid" is a "normal", cute, bouncy teenager, who is currently at a rave in CA. When she gets back, she will regale me with the rave scene, how people liked her new scoodie and hair color, the current status of the proposed medical marijuana clinic shutdown in LA (her card is from AZ, so she doesn't much care), and breaking up with current B.F., but we will also no doubt discuss the current meta analysis("study study") of the health value of fish oils (e.g. Fish Oil No Lifesaver, Study Finds - ABC News, ) and start planning the humongous Thanksgiving dinner that we shall cook for everyone this year.
So yes, a lot of nutritional advice as presented by the popular press is questionable at best, but what we can tell for sure is whether we are healthy or not. I have a fairly large extended family, but the Kid and I are the only two who take sensible care about what we eat, and cook most of our own food, and we are the only two safely within our IBW and without any health issues, so we can use that as a justification for doing what we planned on doing anyway.

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love the skin on and crispy!
Yes, crispy is nice
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
.. just about all health organizations warn about taking "significant amounts" of the [coconut]oil. Of course, the problematic word here is "significant". How many movies do you see in a theater per week? DVDs may actually be healthy! "Significant amount" also probably applies to the eating of fish skin, too, but I haven't seen any studies suggesting benefits of heavy metals and pesticides
Cheers!
haha...you make a good point regarding coconut oil. In fact, I'm enjoying all your posts. Give your g.d. Sunny a high five for me

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Skin if it's crispy and "rendered" then it's delicious. Too bad the frequency of that happening outside my kitchen is about as good as the odds of you finding good fish in your supermarket, OP.
I am with you on that one. When the fish is fresh and the skin is crispy I love it. Old fish with rubbery skin is garbage.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Head Chef

At the local market the only fish that looked good today was Salmon. So this was lunch.

Pan Seared Salmon with Crispy Skin on Baby Bok Choy with Red Pepper and Garlic Sauce by powerplantop, on Flickr
Old 09-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
At the local market the only fish that looked good today was Salmon. So this was lunch.

Pan Seared Salmon with Crispy Skin on Baby Bok Choy with Red Pepper and Garlic Sauce by powerplantop, on Flickr

That looks fantastic!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That looks fantastic!
Thank you!