"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Fish skin. Delicacy or disgusting?

I never buy fish at my local supermarket (all publix on Miami beach should be ashamed) as it looks like crap and smells. Gave it a shot and asked the fish guy what's fresh. Pointed at cloudy slimey salmon. I made a face and he went in the back and actually brought out a fresh red beautiful piece of fish and cut me a piece (shock!). Story aside he was about to remove my coveted salmon skin when I stopped him. That's the best part! Pan fried a piece in butter for lunch
Tm and my skin was so perfect I gobbled it down not risking it will get soggy in fridge overnight. So
- do you eat your fish skin?? How do you make it perfect?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Wine Guy

I'm with you. I love the skin. Not just fish, but pork and chicken as well.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Flour Child

I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" (SNL...lol), but even though the skin can be crispy and tasty on the grill, the EPA does not considered it to be healthy. According to Dr. Weil, "both the skin and fat of fish collect toxins that accumulate in the waters of rivers, streams and oceans. These contaminants can also be found in the flesh of fish but not always at levels as concentrated as they are in the skin and fat. For that reason, eating the skin of the fish is not considered healthy. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advises consumers to remove the skin, fat and internal organs before cooking fish that they've caught in the wild." Sardines have the safest skin because they are smaller and haven't had the time to absorb as much mercury or toxins. Krill are also small and best for omega 3 fish oil supplements.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
Master Chef

Love the skin! Healthy or not it taste great, I'll even eat the skin on steamed or poached fish lol! Fresh deboned hake (Skin on) cut into strips and covered in a crunchy coating made from breadcrumbs and crushed salt and vinegar potato crisps is delicious baked or fried. Another favorite is smoked salmon with skin or peppered mackeral, yum!!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We love the skin on fish...especially from the fish and chip shop...battered fish with the skin left on is great
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Not on smoked fish.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I love fish skin, especially when crispy. Wouldn't be surprised that in a few years time it will be deemed healthy - the health benefits overcoming the downside.

I read somewhere that the thoughts on eggs have now changed and they are good for you.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love the skin on and crispy!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Wouldn't be surprised that in a few years time it will be deemed healthy - the health benefits overcoming the downside.
Isn't that the truth, acer. Like coconut oil on movie popcorn was taboo and is now a must have for the health nuts. And coffee changes daily it seems. And we used to limit our day to 3 meals a day but now it should be 5. Diet soda was suppose to be good for your diet and now it actually makes you gain weight, destroys DNA, kidney function, etc etc. You just never know for sure.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Head Chef

New convert to crispy skin! Finally took the plunge and tried
making salmon with crispy skin.. Oh boy was that goood!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote