Fish Taco question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I have this.

1.Flour tortilla's
2.A half of a pound of blue marlin.
3.Uncles Ben's Boil in the bag rice, Chicken bullion cube.
4.Capers.

Now if I use a table spoon of capers in the rice after it's cooked it should bring out the flavor more right?

1 fresh jalapeno is about a quarter or less. Chop with a bit of onion, and mix with a bit shredded cabbage (also pretty cheap and versatile, will last in fridge longer than lettuce)

I made a nice sauce for my first fish taco attempt and it went over big time.

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 clove chopped garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 fresh jalepeno, seeded and chopped fine
black pepper to taste

It was sort of like a different tar tar sauce.

That's a good idea as well, I've tried capers for the first time tonight and I love them!

Capers have their place - I LOVE them in lots of things. When I think "fish taco" capers just don't enter into the equation. If you can start buying spices/dried herbs you might consider cumin and chili powder for starters. A bit of each would be good dusted on the fish. Look for the bags of spices and herbs in a Latino market. They are MUCH cheaper than a grocery store glass bottle. As a matter of fact - a LOT of herbs/spices are cheaper in one of these markets. Take a look around. You might even score an older bundle of fresh cilantro at a discount - THAT would be incredible with your fish tacos next time!

Now if I use a table spoon of capers in the rice after it's cooked it should bring out the flavor more right?

It won't bring out the flavor of the rice but you'll have rice that tastes like capers.

Since you like capers you'll probably like it.

But it's not a great accompanyment to fish tacos, IMO.

Goya has seasonings in little pouches. I wanted to post the one I use for yellow rice but the problem is that while their spices and spice blends are outstanding, their website is an amature hack. I will get the name and maybe a scan of the box for tomorrow.

A fresh fish taco is a wonderful thing...but like most classics, it must be kept simple...;)

Save the capers for another project, your acid component should be a squirt of lime...

If you must add other things, try a slice of avocado (or a spoon of guac) and maybe a little pico...:chef:

Back
Top Bottom