Five "Go to" recipes/dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been thinking about this some more. While I think it's a great idea to make sure he has several go-to recipes at the end of the six weeks, it might be better to start with teaching basic skills and techniques that he can continue to develop on his own. Knife skills; measuring solids and liquids; different cuts of meats and poultry and their characteristics; sauces, marinades and how to maintain an emulsion; differences between searing, sauteeing, roasting, baking, grilling, poaching, boiling, etc. Just like in culinary school :)

Start with a turkey or a chicken or a beef roast.

Roast it.

Then strrrreeeetttttcccchhhhhh that protein into at leat 5 other meals.

So simple to do with larger proteins.

Then show him how to portion and freeze for quick dinner nights.

You should have a great time working with such a blank canvas .. let us know how it goes !

I was planning on teaching him how to use a knife and some basics, kinda like what we learned in the cooking part of home ec in 7th and 8th grades.

I think learning to shop is an important part of good cooking.

I used to take my Girl Scouts shopping for all the ingredients they would need for a meal they were to cook for their family. Their family gave each of them ten dollars to shop with. What a lesson they learned. About the ingredients that went into a dish and the cost of the food. Opened their eyes. :angel:

Hey CW, you know how we begged bakechef into starting a thread so we could tag along on their wedding preps? Well, IF you can find a minute to breathe and type, would you be so kind as to get a thread going about your adventures in teaching? I think a lot of us would enjoy following along. That's IF you can find time. Whatever you end up going over with him, I hope you two have a fun time.

Hey CW, you know how we begged bakechef into starting a thread so we could tag along on their wedding preps? Well, IF you can find a minute to breathe and type, would you be so kind as to get a thread going about your adventures in teaching? I think a lot of us would enjoy following along. That's IF you can find time. Whatever you end up going over with him, I hope you two have a fun time.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Sorry, sorry....I think this IS that thread...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I start a lot of my pasta dishes the same way every time. Then, just introduce different ingredients depending what I want to call it. As long as I have garlic, onions, parmesan and fresh parsley, I can do many different things, depending on whats in the freezer, crisper or pantry...

Roast chicken and potatoes is my favorite classic meal.....

Like you, I don't cook much from recipes (unless I'm baking). Rather than teach specific recipes, I would probably teach him a few basic techniques:

• How to cook eggs
  • How to know when meat is done
  • How to cook pasta and rice
  • How to steam or stir fry veggies
  • How to follow a recipe

I know the last one sounds sort of vague, but I would find out what kind of foods he's interested in, show him where to find recipes on the internet, and then walk him through a couple. Once people learn recipes, it gives them the confidence to try some things on their own.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Sorry, sorry....I think this IS that thread...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

facepalm.gif
Should not post while sleepy...

Last edited:
Like you, I don't cook much from recipes (unless I'm baking). Rather than teach specific recipes, I would probably teach him a few basic techniques:

• How to cook eggs
  • How to know when meat is done
  • How to cook pasta and rice
  • How to steam or stir fry veggies
  • How to follow a recipe

I know the last one sounds sort of vague, but I would find out what kind of foods he's interested in, show him where to find recipes on the internet, and then walk him through a couple. Once people learn recipes, it gives them the confidence to try some things on their own.

+1 here. I thought the same thing. One technique my mom taught me that is not covered would be how to make a basic white sauce that can then be modified into gravies and cheese sauces. I'm always impressed with anyone who makes their own bread since that is a skill I've not mastered so that might be something too.

+1 here. I thought the same thing. One technique my mom taught me that is not covered would be how to make a basic white sauce that can then be modified into gravies and cheese sauces. I'm always impressed with anyone who makes their own bread since that is a skill I've not mastered so that might be something too.
White sauce is one of the first things I remember we learned to make in home ec. I can definitely teach him how to make bread, but I've gotten lazy and use the stand mixer or the bread machine to make the dough--but pizza dough might be something to make. Pie crust was on my list because I think everyone should know how to make pie crust (bread and pie crust were two things my grandma taught me before I was 10 years old, along with lefse).

On the other hand, bread is easily purchased and not for a beginner cook in my opinion. The same goes for pie crusts. He can purchase a pie or buy a ready made crust. It sounds like this guy probably wants to learn how to put some simple meals together rather than get into advanced cooking. You don't want to overwhelm him if he knows little about cooking. I'd also point out to him that there's a wealth of cooking videos out there for great recipes. One of my favorites is Food Wishes Video Recipes
Chef John does a very nice professional job with them.

I agree with Kayelle. I don't find the daily need for making bread or piecrust. Others already do it much better. Also, Knorr makes wonderful hollandaise and bernaise sauce in a packet. I would concentrate on teaching good, basic meals.

Last edited:
On the other hand, bread is easily purchased and not for a beginner cook in my opinion. The same goes for pie crusts. He can purchase a pie or buy a ready made crust. It sounds like this guy probably wants to learn how to put some simple meals together rather than get into advanced cooking. You don't want to overwhelm him if he knows little about cooking. I'd also point out to him that there's a wealth of cooking videos out there for great recipes. One of my favorites is Food Wishes Video Recipes

YES! Chef john does an excellent job and doesn't over complicate things, I really enjoy his videos.

I'd ask him what he likes to eat first. It makes no sense to teach him how to cook something he has no interest in eating.

Having said that, most people like chicken and the roast chicken is a great start, with leftover dishes to follow. I'd also teach him about brine for chicken and pork.

I agree with Kayelle.

That being said, here are my five Go-Tos:

Potato Soup - cures everything from colds to heartbreak.
Banana Pudding - Awesome for potlucks and most seem to like it.
Pasta with white clam sauce - I always keep the ingredients on-hand and can get it on the table from start to finish in less than 15 minutes.
Beef Stew with fried bread - Just like Momma made and I can have it cook in a crock-pot all day.
Stuffed Peppers or Soup Beans - Channels all of my maternal ancestors.

I agree 100% about the videos!

This guy has been a big inspiration to me!

James Strange - YouTube

Nothing wrong with a little home cooking! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom