Flapjack? Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimme

Assistant Cook
hi I have tried and tried cooking flapjack, mainly because my stepdaughter loves it, using the BBC recipe but it turns out either totally crumbly of rock hard like gingernuf buscuits. how do you get it gooey soft but holding together with cooked oats?

Not sure what you're looking for. In American cuisine a flapjack is a pancake and typically does not include oats.

According to Wiki, a British flapjack is some kind of oat bar.

The two have nothing in common.

I think the op is referring to flapjacks the biscuits on account of his/her description and because he/she is in Liverpool - hi gimme, I worked in Liverpool from September 1971 to June 1973 - lovely people there.

I used to make flapjacks a long time ago, but haven't done so for a long time, so can't give you any advice - sorry!

Gillian

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/honeyflapjacks_73203

I'm not a baker but looking at the recipe, my thoughts are you may be heating the butter, sugar and honey too quickly or at too high a temp. You want to do that slowly and just until they are mixed together. You don't want them to boil or simmer at all. Another thought is that perhaps your oven is too hot or you are cooking them too long. They should still be soft in the center when you take them out of the oven. They will set up as they cool so you don't want them to be hard when you take them out.

I made baked oats , an American recipe for my Scottish son and he got so happy I had made perfect flapjacks, so I guess look into those recipe and you might have more luck.

I have tried these, https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/flapjacks_86993
but I run into the same problem, I guess my butter doesnt contain enough moisture , because these also become brick hard when they cool, even when I try to under cook them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom