Flavoring Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I am having trouble adding flavor to the meats I prepare. Any advice or tips and tricks for flavoring meats?

Hi, cooking. Welcome to DC.

A few more specifics would help us answer your question better. Are you thinking of grilled meats, stewed meats, etc. The cooking process also adds flavor.

I am actually a former vegetarian who is just now starting to prepare meat, and I grew up in a house that never ate meat, so I really have no idea how to add flavor when cooking meat. I guess I am mostly looking for ways to add flavor when grilling chicken and beef.

I'm thinking the easiest thing would be to start trying some recipies and look at the seasoning being used, and seeing how it affects the dish. Have you become familiar with herbs and spices when cooking vegetables? That would also be a good place to start.

most beef needs very little help in the flavor department. For steaks salt and pepper and possible a little of veg oil to get a good crust and to make sure it does not stick to the rack. Burgers, I am big fan of salt pepper garlic onion peprika, parsly, and some egg and bread crumb to bind. I believe chicken is the empty canvas of the culinary world. You can go sweet, savory, or spicy depending on your mood. Just watch out when grilling chicken, it is hard to cook through without burning the outside. Cook it bone side down on a low heat. Feel free to PM with any more questions

There are a dozen or more Grilling Spice mixes and rubs available these days.
It's a place to start, even if it might be looked down upon as cheating, LOL!
Look in the spice section of your grocery store.
A hint for your chicken on the grill is to grill it for a while, then apply a last
shake or slather of seasonings. Wrap it in aluminum foil and return to the grill. The foil will help retain the juices.
Get a decent grill thermometer and use it! :)

For a good steak, I use a bit of garlic butter and a shake of seasoned salt
on each side. Let the meat reach room temp before grilling. Don't overcook!

thanks for all the great advice!! any new or unusual ideas? I am hosting a dinner party for the first time since I have started making meat dishes and my friends question my innovativeness for meat dishes since I am great at preparing new and interesting vegetarian dishes but have just started branching into meat. i need something that has the "wow" factor.

anyone have any new or unusual ideas for adding flavor to meat? I am hosting a dinner party for the first time since I have started making meat dishes and my friends question my innovativeness for meat dishes since I am great at preparing new and interesting vegetarian dishes but have just started branching into meat. i need something that has the "wow" factor.

I found some suggestions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that beef isn't as tasty as it was when I was a child. So I often grab an envelope of some sort of Lipton's soup to jazz it up a bit (onion, beefy onion, beefy mushroom) and use it as part of the marinade. I use it in place of salt.

Back
Top Bottom