Flavors To Enhance Unsweetened Cherries In Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I have some frozen, dark sweet cherries (unsweetened) that inadvertently became UNfrozen. I was looking for a recipe to use them up and found a cobbler recipe online that calls for mixed berries (frozen blackberries and raspberries, thawed). It calls for 1 tsp. lemon juice in the filling and 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind in the topping as the only added flavors. In using the cherries, should I keep those or maybe use vanilla or cinnamon or some other flavor to enhance the cherries?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!!:chef:

Thanks guys! I think I'll keep the lemon juice (and also do lemon peel instead of the orange) and do a vanilla and almond mix. If the recipe turns out as good as I hope, I'll post it.:chef:

Just updating cos that's how I roll.;)

I made the cobbler Friday evening and it wasn't good in any sense of the word. The recipe was a healthy whole wheat flour cobbler and I thought it had looked good AND it got good reviews. The topping/dough was really not good, nor was the filling I adapted. I have decided that I do not like the flavor of almond extract in anything. Lots of bakers are using it in cupcake/cookie frosting and I just don't like that taste.

So...as I told my fiance when we both decided it was a flop, "I can't hit a homerun every time!" It wasn't even a walk. LOL

Thanks for all of the input everyone.

P.S. Anyone want a slightly used bottle of almond extract?:chef:

Almond extract is a very strong flavor, it can take over the flavor of a dish very easily. In cherry things or even coconut things I use a very small amount to enhance the flavor, most wouldn't detect an almond flavor, but a brighter cherry or coconut flavor. If I was making a coconut cream pie I would only use maybe a 1/4 tsp of almond extract along with vanilla. In a fruit cobbler maybe a 1/2 tsp.

I wonder if mascerating the cherries like you would strawberries would have worked.

Almond extract is a very strong flavor, it can take over the flavor of a dish very easily. In cherry things or even coconut things I use a very small amount to enhance the flavor, most wouldn't detect an almond flavor, but a brighter cherry or coconut flavor. If I was making a coconut cream pie I would only use maybe a 1/4 tsp of almond extract along with vanilla. In a fruit cobbler maybe a 1/2 tsp.

I used 1/2 tsp. of the almond extract. I maybe should have used less.

I wonder if mascerating the cherries like you would strawberries would have worked.

Actually, the filling thickened up well (the recipe used the flour to thicken). Other than the almond flavor, I think it would have been fine. I actually also added some frozen, chopped pears I had in the freezer because I noticed I didn't have as many cherries as I thought I did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom