"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

I am on my way to the store for some tomatoes and mozzarella . I will let you guys know how it is

Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hey GB - I had a thought (don't be alarmed!!!!) What about a little skewer - the very small balls of fresh water packed mozzarella, a half a cherry tomato, a basil leaf, a sliver of red onion large enough to skewer, drizzled with the olive oil and then sprinkled with the Fleur De Sel and some cracked black pepper? Or if not the basil leaf then make a "dressing" out of fresh basil, olive oil, salt, and pour on skewers and marinate for about 30 minutes. I know what I'm having for dinner!!!! You could even serve these skewers on top of some pasta drizzled with the basil olive oil.

OK, I know I'm thinking off the wall here - but I love orichietti pasta - you could even surround the mozzarella so the pasta cracles the cheese and cracles the tomato - I know - I'm getting carried away! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Great idea Elf, and everybody.

I actually just came back from the store where I picked up some fresh Mozzarella and some Ugly Ripe tomatoes. I picked some basil from my garden. I sliced the tomato and cheese and layered them on a plate. I tore up the basil and put that on top. The whole thing was then sprinkled with the Fleur De Sel and my favorite olive oil. It was delicious. Perfect lunch on a hot summer day like today. I honestly don't think I picked up on the subtleties of the salt, but I can say that it was much better than just using kosher salt. The salt crystals are big, but not as big as my other sea salt that I have. This gave the salad a nice salty crunch, but did not make it too salty.

My next attempt will be with a steak and I will make sure to slice it before salting as suggested. Jenny I generally agree with you on the salting before cooking thing. What I might do is lightly salt it first and then just finish with the finishing salt.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #24
Master Chef

Glad you had a good lunch, GB!

A lot of seafood recipes call for fleur de sel, as well. You could probably finish just about any recipe with a little.

Also, what about finishing a potato dish with some--the first two that come to mind are grilled potato wedges or some sort of au gratin.

Have fun experimenting!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

Ohh PAB what a great idea to use it on fish. I probably never would have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense since I usually cook the mild fishes most often.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I honestly don't think I picked up on the subtleties of the salt, but I can say that it was much better than just using kosher salt.

Jeffrey Steingarten won several awards for a 2001 article he wrote for Vogue, entitled "Salt Chic." He collected different types of salt and had them tasted by professional tasters and also had them chemically analyzed. His basic conclusion: salt is salt. All salt is 99.9% the same theing: NaCl. Even the professional flavor tasters could tell little if any differencebetween the salts.

It's a great article. It is included in his wonderful book, It Must've Been Something I Ate: The Return of the Man Who Ate Everything, which is a sequel (obviously) to The Man Who Ate Everything, another fantastic book.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Jenny that makes me feel much better! I was wondering if my pallet was just not as refined as some others.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Where is oldcoot when you need him - he'll tell you salt is salt is salt is salt.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote