"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Question Flipping Pancakes

How can you flip pancakes with out making a mess?any good tips on this I always end up with batter every where... ?????

Old 03-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Everymom

A really nice wide, roundish lifter works wonders. Also a high sided electric frying pan.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Master Chef

Just flip them. I can'do few at the time, but if it is just one, flip it in the air and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

It is all about the snap of the wrist. Hold the pan handle firmly, but not super tight. Push your arm away from you and then with a quick snap pull it back.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

would that be how flapjacks got their name? just curious.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

The art of flipping pancakes is mastered only through practice. When you get good, you will find that you can get 4 pancakes on a single-burner square griddle, and flip all four without landing them on top of one another.

The secret is in the arc. Imagine when you are flipping, that you are describing a half circle in the air so that the spatula is over the same spot from where you lifted the pancake. That is, as you turn the spatula, you also slide it partially to the side, as if you were sliding it inside an ellipse. It's hard to describe the action.

Get yoursef an already cooked pancake, or slice of bread, and practice flipping the thing onto the same spot as where it sat before flipping. Also, the pancake has to be done enough to hold its shape when you flip it. Look for bubbles to form on top. But don't cook until they quit filling in by themselves.

I son't know how I developed the knack, just years of practice I guess. Both of my daughters figured it out as well, which drives a good freind of mine absolutely nuts because he can't flip a pancake into the same spot to save his life. Other than that, he's a pretty good cook.

The same wrist motion used to flip pancakes can be used when flipping steaks, burgers, anything with flat sides that will fit on a turner, even fried eggs.

But it's certainly less messy to practice with a piece of bread, or something like that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Make sure its done enough on first side before flipping it needs to set up a bit first,you can tell its ready to flip when the batter starts forming little bubbles when they start popping open then you are ready to flip, if your pancake is already real brown before that happens you need to turn the heat down a bit so this can happen.You want a hot grill but not so hot they brown or are starting to burn as soon as you put batter in griddle
Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

I do the same that that jp does!! No mess that way.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Contest Winner

I used to practice with play-doh when I was a kid. My Grandma bought me this set of toy pots and pans when i was about 5. I would make "pancakes" with them and practice endlessly, flipping them over and over. I got rather good at it! (I swear I was born with my love for cooking!)

My suggestion? Get some play-doh and toy pans and go at it until you are an expert! You have a child, right? You can always use them as an excuse for your "playing."
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
All your problems are solved:

The Perfect Pancake