Flipping Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
How can you flip pancakes with out making a mess?any good tips on this I always end up with batter every where... ?????

A really nice wide, roundish lifter works wonders. Also a high sided electric frying pan.

Just flip them. I can'do few at the time, but if it is just one, flip it in the air and be done with it. :chef:

It is all about the snap of the wrist. Hold the pan handle firmly, but not super tight. Push your arm away from you and then with a quick snap pull it back.

The art of flipping pancakes is mastered only through practice. When you get good, you will find that you can get 4 pancakes on a single-burner square griddle, and flip all four without landing them on top of one another.

The secret is in the arc. Imagine when you are flipping, that you are describing a half circle in the air so that the spatula is over the same spot from where you lifted the pancake. That is, as you turn the spatula, you also slide it partially to the side, as if you were sliding it inside an ellipse. It's hard to describe the action.

Get yoursef an already cooked pancake, or slice of bread, and practice flipping the thing onto the same spot as where it sat before flipping. Also, the pancake has to be done enough to hold its shape when you flip it. Look for bubbles to form on top. But don't cook until they quit filling in by themselves.

I son't know how I developed the knack, just years of practice I guess. Both of my daughters figured it out as well, which drives a good freind of mine absolutely nuts because he can't flip a pancake into the same spot to save his life. Other than that, he's a pretty good cook.

The same wrist motion used to flip pancakes can be used when flipping steaks, burgers, anything with flat sides that will fit on a turner, even fried eggs.

But it's certainly less messy to practice with a piece of bread, or something like that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:) Make sure its done enough on first side before flipping it needs to set up a bit first,you can tell its ready to flip when the batter starts forming little bubbles when they start popping open then you are ready to flip, if your pancake is already real brown before that happens you need to turn the heat down a bit so this can happen.You want a hot grill but not so hot they brown or are starting to burn as soon as you put batter in griddle

I used to practice with play-doh when I was a kid. My Grandma bought me this set of toy pots and pans when i was about 5. I would make "pancakes" with them and practice endlessly, flipping them over and over. I got rather good at it! :chef: (I swear I was born with my love for cooking!)

My suggestion? Get some play-doh and toy pans and go at it until you are an expert! You have a child, right? You can always use them as an excuse for your "playing." :LOL:

Caine said:
:chef: All your problems are solved:

The Perfect Pancake

Yeh, but where's that feeling of triumph that you get when you flip that pancake in it's tight little spot on the crowded griddle, while your buddies watch in awe inspired facination?

If it's done the easy way, then everbody can do it.:ROFLMAO:

I mean, sure, there are machines out there that can recreate a Michelangelo masterpiece right down to the texture of the brushstrokes. But would you call the person re-creating those paintings an artist? I don't think so.

I'm a bit touchy when it comes to pancakes. In my neck of the woods, I'm known as the pancake king. And I won't give up my swelled head feeling easily.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm very un-coordinated, so I don't try the pan-flipping thing. Instead, I make smaller pancakes...about 6 fit in my rectangular electric skillet...and flip them with a spatula. I started this method when I was cooking breakfast for multiple slumber party guests when my kids were little. I could serve more kids at a time that way.
One has to be either brave or crazy to invite the whole softball team for an over-night, but I did it every year at the end of the season for both girls. :wacko:

I'll confess, this was a biggie for me. Made bigger because I don't make pancakes very often. But hubby likes them a few times a year ... not often enough to develop a good turning technique. So one day asked him if he minded silver dollar pancakes. No, he loved it. It is one heck of a lot easier to turn a little pancake than a big one. Then I went one step further and asked if he'd like blintzes instead. Having eastern European parents, he was thrilled. It is the most forgiving thing in the world. The pancakes are small, and I've found I can use almost anything to replace the dairy ingredient: Milk, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, even pureed cottage cheese. Ditto eggs -- if we have good eggs on hand, great. If not eggbeaters from the freezer do OK. Since we are a household of two, being able to us whatever is in the house rather than shopping in advance is a boon.

Back
Top Bottom