Flour crust on meat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kookiblob

Assistant Cook
:ermm:I was making boeuf bourguignon,and the recipe told me to put flour on the beef in the casserole dish, toss, and put in the oven for 4 minutes+ 4 minutes at 450 degrees. When I removed it from the oven, there was no crust at all, and the flour instead mixed with the juices on top of the beef to create a nasty starchy mixture on the beef.. this isnt the first time that I've failed using flour on meats! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

I think you misread the recipe. Are you sure it said what you wrote about putting it in the oven? The usual way is to dredge the pieces of meat in flour (usually seasoned flour) and pat off the excess. Then, in batches, brown (on high heat on the stovetop) the meat (making sure you don't crowd the pan, so they sear and not steam). When they are finished searing off, that's when you complete the recipe and finishing in the oven. Usually once the meat is browned, you remove it, saute your aromatics, add the wine and stock for braising, then finish it up in the oven for a long braise (usually hours). Could you post the recipe as you have it?

I think you misread the recipe. Are you sure it said what you wrote about putting it in the oven? The usual way is to dredge the pieces of meat in flour (usually seasoned flour) and pat off the excess. Then, in batches, brown (on high heat on the stovetop) the meat (making sure you don't crowd the pan, so they sear and not steam). When they are finished searing off, that's when you complete the recipe and finishing in the oven. Usually once the meat is browned, you remove it, saute your aromatics, add the wine and stock for braising, then finish it up in the oven for a long braise (usually hours). Could you post the recipe as you have it?

I'll put the specific set of instructions. Here it is:
Return the beef and bacon to the casserole and toss with the salt and pepper. Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly with the flour. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes. Toss the meat and return to oven for 4 minutes more. (This browns the flour and covers the meat with a light crust.) Remove casserole, and turn oven down to 325 degrees.

It sounds like time to make changes to the recipe. I agree that you should be browning it on top of the stove first. It would be hard to get a crust on the meat the way it is suggesting.

In my opinion, the process described in the recipe isn't the best. The problem with your recipe's oven method is that it doesn't get the pan hot enough fast enough to sear the meat.

Your best bet is to sear the floured meat in small batches over high heat in a very hot pan. Turning the pieces to brown on all sides.

As an alternative, you can sear the chunks of meat with no flour at all and add flour later in the recipe if you need to thicken the gravy.

The reason for flouring the meat before browning is to thicken the cooking liquid somewhat, however you must pat off the excess, and never crowd the pan, as Velochic said, or you will steam rather then form a crust...

Yes, I realize that already since they've already posted about that. (Sorry i'm very inexperienced, just 15) but anyway, the stew turned out to be perfect, it was the best thing I've ever made! julia child, i worship you.

Yes, I realize that already since they've already posted about that. (Sorry i'm very inexperienced, just 15) but anyway, the stew turned out to be perfect, it was the best thing I've ever made! julia child, i worship you.

Kookiblob, good for you!!! Experience will be your best teacher, never give up... it has taken many of us a long time to learn how to perfect a recipe to our tastes... I look forward to hearing about your new trials and errors... Believe me we all have them... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been cooking for about 50 years and I'm still learning from my mistakes. Welcome to DC. We're here to help where we can.

:ermm:I was making boeuf bourguignon,and the recipe told me to put flour on the beef in the casserole dish, toss, and put in the oven for 4 minutes+ 4 minutes at 450 degrees. When I removed it from the oven, there was no crust at all, and the flour instead mixed with the juices on top of the beef to create a nasty starchy mixture on the beef.. this isnt the first time that I've failed using flour on meats! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Julia's recipe, which I've made many times has you pat off the beef chunks and then brown in very hot bacon fat before dusting the beef with flour and putting in the oven.

Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon Recipe - Tablespoon

I confess to skipping the oven flour browning step almost every time I make it. I usually make a roux with flour and bacon fat.

Congratulations on making a great dish at 15!! Many more years of happy cooking await you.

Back
Top Bottom