"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sorry to see that we have gotten away from sifting the dry ingredients. Just whisking is does not do it for me. I feel that sifting all the dry ingredients together makes for a lighter end product. Yes, I have one of those sifters that you crank with the handle on the side. And it gets a lot of use in my kitchen.
What, Addie? I still sift flour like my grandma taught me...you mean I don't have to do that? I have my grandma's sifter and use it all the time!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Bleaching also creates a softer flour, that's why cake flour is almost always bleached. King Arthur makes an unbleached version but explains on the package that it will not produce as soft a cake as bleached cake flour.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #23
Master Chef

I've made one attempt (so far) at from-scratch baking powder biscuits. I didn't use this recipe (yet), but their flour chart is simple, explanatory, and informational. I hunt it down every time I have a question about flour. Seriously, I have to hunt - I can never remember which folder I hide it in.

How to Make the Best Buttermilk Biscuits from Scratch - Pinch My Salt

I rarely bake anything that requires a soft flour. I've found that in spite of a higher protein content (13%), unbleached, white whole-wheat flour works fine for me. Even when I bake scones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What, Addie? I still sift flour like my grandma taught me...you mean I don't have to do that? I have my grandma's sifter and use it all the time!
I sift too, although I have my own flour sifter. I'm always careful to see if a recipe calls for sifting before measuring, since so many recipes I use are old ones. My Mom's sifter has now been designated a sugar sifter if I'm using a large amount of powder sugar.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech3d View Post
I am glad you mentioned sifting I always wondered either to measure first then sift or sift into the cup. It does make a big difference with dry ingredients since they can be packed and the end result may be more flour than the recipe calls for.
Just remember if the recipe says "2 cups of sifted flour, you measure out your flour after you have sifted it.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I hate to watch Martha S. bake. According to her and a lot of others on TV, nope you no long have to sift. Just whisk all the dry ingredients. Hogwash!

I keep a zippy bag of the dry ingredients in the fridge. Saves me a lot of work when someone asks me for Hershey's Chocolate Cake. I always sift it before I add any of the wet ingredients. Like you, I grew up sifting and I always will sift.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #26
Master Chef

If you don't still have your Granny's sifter you can get good results using a fine mesh wire strainer similar to this one. Just tap it against the palm of your hand.

Browne-Foodservice - S9098 8" Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Single Strainer
Old 03-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't often sift anymore, I don't find a difference. I do sift if I'm using a lot of spices to help break up the lumpy bits, or if my baking soda looks a bit clumpy. My mom ALWAYS sifts.

I do need a new sifter, the one I have gets more rust every time I wash it (which isn't often). I like a sifter because the ingredients go straight into the bowl, I always make a mess with dry ingredients in a sieve.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 03-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I don't often sift anymore, I don't find a difference. I do sift if I'm using a lot of spices to help break up the lumpy bits, or if my baking soda looks a bit clumpy. My mom ALWAYS sifts.

I do need a new sifter, the one I have gets more rust every time I wash it (which isn't often). I like a sifter because the ingredients go straight into the bowl, I always make a mess with dry ingredients in a sieve.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
When I sift, I use a screen sieve, but I don't usually sift unless I feel the need to thoroughly mix the dry ingredients. What I do is weigh rather than depend on volume.

1 cup of flour is supposed to weigh 5 ounces. Unsifted flour here in arid Colorado comes out of my big glass flour canister dead on - I've weighed it several times just to test. It also tells me that my cheapo tin measuring cups are accurate, something I was a bit surprised to find out. I suppose that in a more humid environment, a cup might weigh a bit more. Sifted flour should be a bit lighter, but I've never tested it.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #29
Master Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Since I've been "teaching" the young lads how to bake, we've been weighing flour and applying baker's percentage. I have noticed a difference in the pie crust dough when we've used pastry flour vs. AP.

+ 1. The best way to do it.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
When I sift, I use a screen sieve, but I don't usually sift unless I feel the need to thoroughly mix the dry ingredients. What I do is weigh rather than depend on volume.

1 cup of flour is supposed to weigh 5 ounces. Unsifted flour here in arid Colorado comes out of my big glass flour canister dead on - I've weighed it several times just to test. It also tells me that my cheapo tin measuring cups are accurate, something I was a bit surprised to find out. I suppose that in a more humid environment, a cup might weigh a bit more. Sifted flour should be a bit lighter, but I've never tested it.
I weigh as well, it's just easier, and so much more accurate. When I convert my old recipes I also use the 5 oz. per cup of flour standard, it works well for me.

Tags
flour