"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Unless its a family run hole in the wall then its some sort of prepackaged one. Just an off-list one you can get from Sysco or such.
It is a really small family owned Mexican place. Very traditional old school recipes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made their own seasonings. Their son and daughters work there. It's been there since the 1970's I think.

I'll have to try the Goya seasoning and also the other recommendations. Yeah the Ortega stuff is probably mostly salt and chemicals. :) Probably much better alternatives exist.

My mom moved to small town in California, and there's a similar old school place near her house. The kitchen area is right behind the order counter, and there's a gas stove back there (pro quality), and there's always a massive stock pan with a red sauce of some kind simmering away. I think it's a mole sauce perhaps. Is that like a base for salsa and other sauces? But the food is awesome. I told my mom I'd be eating here like 3 times a week if I lived in that town.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

Originally, the term Fajita meant beef skirt steak. It was cut into strips and grilled or fried, placed in a flour, or corn tortilla, along with chopped onion and bell pepper that was fried until somewhat tender. Today, fajita generally means (at least in the U.S.) strips of meat cooked with bell peppers and onions, and placed into a soft tortilla.

If you are using fresh corn tortillas, traditionally they are softend by immersing in hot oil for about 15 seconds, then removing to drain excess oil onto paper towels. You then add the fillings for fajitas or tacos.

Chicken strips should be seasoned before cooking, and only cooked for a short time to cook through. Cook any veggies separately to avoid overcooking the meat.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
It is a really small family owned Mexican place. Very traditional old school recipes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made their own seasonings. Their son and daughters work there. It's been there since the 1970's I think.

I'll have to try the Goya seasoning and also the other recommendations. Yeah the Ortega stuff is probably mostly salt and chemicals. :) Probably much better alternatives exist.

My mom moved to small town in California, and there's a similar old school place near her house. The kitchen area is right behind the order counter, and there's a gas stove back there (pro quality), and there's always a massive stock pan with a red sauce of some kind simmering away. I think it's a mole sauce perhaps. Is that like a base for salsa and other sauces? But the food is awesome. I told my mom I'd be eating here like 3 times a week if I lived in that town.
This is pretty much the recipe I use, although I don't use bouillon cubes anymore. When I add the liquid, I add about a half teaspoon of Better than Bouillon: Fajita Seasoning Mix Recipe - Mexican.Food.com

Mole is its own kind of sauce. Red chile sauce is different. There are various kinds of salsas, too. So they're not really related, except that they have some common ingredients, sometimes
Old 08-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

There is a hole in the wall style place here, hidden in the back of a mexican grocery store. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOD!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
Head Chef

If you follow Minute Rice's directions and use equal parts water to rice, you'll end up with excess water at the bottom of the sauce pan and soggy rice. I've learned to withhold some water.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Unless its a family run hole in the wall then its some sort of prepackaged one. Just an off-list one you can get from Sysco or such.
Maybe in Wisconsin, but no Mexican cook worth his frijoles would use anything but homemade rubs and marinades in the states of California, Arizona or New Mexico.

As a gringo who loves to prepare Mexican food, I won't even use that taco seasoning that comes in little envelopes in the grocery store. I make my own with herbs and spices of my choosing, in the quantities I prefer.

My Salsas:

My Brunch Chimichangas:
Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Different item, but i found the same thing with an instant mashed potato bx mix. Had to add more milk/water otherwise the stuff was thicker than cement. Can't imagine people liked it that way.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesChocolate View Post
Different item, but i found the same thing with an instant mashed potato bx mix. Had to add more milk/water otherwise the stuff was thicker than cement. Can't imagine people liked it that way.
And yet I've done some (don't remember the brand) that were the opposite, so runny that they were more of a thick soup. Had to cut way back on the liquid.

I rarely use instant anyway, unless my father-in-law is coming over for dinner. he likes mashed potatoes with no lumps, and that's the quickest way to ensure that.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
And yet I've done some (don't remember the brand) that were the opposite, so runny that they were more of a thick soup. Had to cut way back on the liquid.

I rarely use instant anyway, unless my father-in-law is coming over for dinner. he likes mashed potatoes with no lumps, and that's the quickest way to ensure that.
Tip - Adding instant smashed spuds to your favorite bred recipe gives you a supremely light, moist, and tasty bred, as long as butter is used copiously as the fat..

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

We buy a couple of different frozen flatbreads from TJs. I have to increase the oven temp by 25-50 degrees and extend the cooking time from 8-10 minutes up to 13-14 minutes to get them cooked through and browned.