"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Following package instructions is not always good

I find if I follow package instructions, food sometimes doesn't come out as good as it could. I made fajitas last week, and the Ortega Fajita seasoning packet said to cook the chicken first and then add the onion, bell peppers, seasoning, water and then cook on medium for 6 minutes or so. They didn't come out very well in my opinion -- not nearly as good as the local Mexican place makes them.

So today I made them again (wife loves fajitas). But this time I had the cast iron really, really hot. And I threw in the veggie oil, chicken for only a couple of minutes before tossing in the goodies (red, green bell peppers, whole diced onion, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt). And I cooked it all for a nice long time to get some flavor in there. I got a little char action going, and then I put in the water and fajita seasoning and cooked it another 10 minutes.

I guess this super high heat is how pro chefs cook. Don't be afraid of going super hot with the pan. :) The fajitas were really yummy tonight. And instead of cooking the tortillas in the oven, I cooked them in a pan with a bit of butter.

I actually was going to buy some tequila at the store so I could dump a little in the cast iron skillet and set it on fire. Like the local Mexican place does it (I guess they use tequila?), but the grocery store doesn't sell tequila (only beer -- darn Ohio liquor laws).

Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

1 & 2/3 cups of water (according to instructions) is way too much for a packet of Rice A Roni's long grain & wild rice. I cut it down to 1.5 cups and the rice was still watery and almost too mushy for my taste. Next time I'll cut it down to 1.25 cups.
I've never used Rice A Roni until recently when I started taking them as part of my camp meal. They're cheap, and don't take up much space in my pack.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

What I've enjoyed for Fajita seasoning is Goya's Mojo sauce. Get the meat and veg mostly cooked, then pour some in mix it around and boil off the sauce.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
They didn't come out very well in my opinion -- not nearly as good as the local Mexican place makes them.
That is most likely because the local Mexican place doesn't use Ortega fajita seasoning packets. Try googling FAJITA SEASONINGS RECIPES and make your own seasoning.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
That is most likely because the local Mexican place doesn't use Ortega fajita seasoning packets. Try googling FAJITA SEASONINGS RECIPES and make your own seasoning.
Unless its a family run hole in the wall then its some sort of prepackaged one. Just an off-list one you can get from Sysco or such.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Goya Mojo Crioll, specifically.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Goya Mojo Crioll, specifically.
That would be Criollo. I prefer to lean more to SW seasonings than Cuban for fajitas. I marinade with lime juice, garlic, onion, Spanish olive oil, S&P. I might throw in some tequila, but not to flame. I have the veges prepped.

Next my CI pan that I use for blackening, goes on the jet cooker and gets heated to white hot. In goes the marinated, drained skirt steak which gets a minute or two on each side. After the steak is removed in go the veges for a quick stir fry with out additional oil. The usual sides and salsas are served with choice of tortillas and a selection of cheeses, cojita, oaxaca and chihuahua.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
So today I made them again (wife loves fajitas). But this time I had the cast iron really, really hot. And I threw in the veggie oil, chicken for only a couple of minutes before tossing in the goodies (red, green bell peppers, whole diced onion, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt). And I cooked it all for a nice long time to get some flavor in there. I got a little char action going, and then I put in the water and fajita seasoning and cooked it another 10 minutes.
IMO you cooked the chicken pieces far too long!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

Now I want fajitas.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Now I want fajitas.
You're welcome.... maybe. Depending on how you go about it! ;)