"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile "Food"

Hi, I am pitching a new idea of mine to the local school district and want some input on what some of you think!

I am going to bring a new type of entertainment to the world, a new kind of food entertainment I should say. But don't worry, secretely all of the elementary kids and middle school kids will be learning about food. I am introducing a kind of casual almost "Good Eats" style play completely focused on cooking techniques and food. I am going to make a memorable presentation that encorporates stories and connections between me and the audience, while also putting some fun and goofy touches in. since I am 14 then i will be able to connect with them better than most adults, so now is the time to put the passion of food into the hearts of children all over.

So what do you think??

Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Sounds cool! You say it's going to be a play? Maybe you could get a cooking show for kids going on YouTube...

Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

it's going to have some theatrical aspects in it, so there is a story line to follow that the younger kids will enjoy more than me just sitting there talking to them. And the You Tube idea is cool, I'll have to start working on that.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

Great idea and I like the one about putting a cooking show for kids on YouTube.
As for the goofy stuff, I personally think that Alton Brown's goofy antics are annoying and take a lot of time away from good information. A sense of humor is wonderful, but goofy stuff? well....
Old 01-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

I love watching "Good EATS" so I could only imagine that with your creativity, you could pull this off. So what are you thinking your subject will be?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I am writing a script (or rather a orginization) that will be about 45 mins long. to begin with it will introduce why everyone eats the way they do...so for example why so many people choose fast food over cooking. Because for most of the elementary kids all they eat is fast food. So then I will take them through a transformation and show them how to use a microwave and how it works, and then show them that a knife isn't a scary thing, but something you have to be careful with. And then a short bacteria talk using puppets similar to what Alton uses. this might change, so does anyone have anything else? and the reason it is going to be goofy and funny is becasue elementary school kids won't want to learn about enzymes or brines yet. I'll save that info for the middleschool and highschool kids. But this is what I'm working on so far!

Tags
food, o'dell, schoo, tanner