Food Challenge For You All...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I am not sure what to make for dinner. I have some small shrimp (about 31-40 size, probably, depending on which bag DH grabbed from the freezer).

I don't know what to do with it for dinner tomorrow. I want to avoid grocery shopping and have the following on hand:

2 english cucumbers
frozen broccoli
2 red bell peppers
all sorts of seasonings & salad dressing (but unfortuntely no lettuce)
2 limes
1 orange
baby carrots
onions/shallots/garlic/green onions
cheese: sharp white cheddar, feta
2 roma tomatoes

Any ideas on what I can toss together? (Hope I wasn't supposed to post this in the seafood section...)

Thanks!:)

the first few things that jump out in my mind are a stir fry, using everything listed except the cheese.

or maybe a shrimp salad, or a type of shrimp and veggie ceviche.

You could make a shrimp scampi if you have some red pepper flakes and parsley.

Put a little oil in skillet and add some chopped garlic. Add shrimp and saute until pink. Remove from heat and add some lemon juice (I guess you could do some lime juice) and some red pepper flakes and parsley. You could also throw in some of your chopped tomatoes.

You could serve this on top of a tomato couscous (I saw on everyday Italian today) using some seafood stock with the shells of the shrimp. Or you could serve on top of some noodles or rice.

Thanks for the help! I think I'll try the scampi idea and set some aside for a cucumber/shrimp stir fry. I haven't had that in ages!

htc, wish I'd seen this yesterday. I usually keep couscous in the pantry. In the next few days I'll be making roasted garlic & olive oil couscous, chopped veggies (maybe tomatoes, scallions, diced red onions, artichoke hearts & whatever else I can think of - any ideas?). To that I'll add shrimp sauteed in garlic & olive oil. Couscous is handy to keep around for quick dishes.

brainstorm time for me

2 english cucumbers
frozen broccoli
2 red bell peppers
all sorts of seasonings & salad dressing (but unfortuntely no lettuce)
2 limes
1 orange
baby carrots
onions/shallots/garlic/green onions
cheese: sharp white cheddar, feta
2 roma tomatoes

ok. first you take the red peppers dice em.

mince the garlic. Slice the green onions into thin slices.

Take the cucumber - peel it and slice it.

Take the orange wash the peel and squeeze out all the juice. and then mince the peel.

peel and Slice the tomatoes into 5 parts sections. don't slice if you like the peel i do not like the peel

slice the lime into 4 parts.

Devain the shrimp.

In a skillet throw in olive oil or clarified butter (i prefer clarified butter) and garlic. Wait for the garlic to pop. Toss in the red pepper and tomatoes. Wait until it smokes and juices run out of the tomatoe. Throw in some salt, white pepper, basil and paprika and the cucumber. Pour enough water like probaby 1/5 a cup of water and cover and let the red peper, tomatoes, and cucumber simmer. After the water evaporates. Throw in the shrimp quickly stir around and add in the orange juice and 1 tsp of the minced orange peel and green onion. Add 1 tsp or more sugar. Stir around quickly until almost all has evaporated. Remove, plate shrimp, cucumber, and peper, and quickly squeeze lime on top and add the cheese.

Tabasco sauce optional too.
(You can use dry basil.)

Now, i don't know wut to do with the carrots and broccoli lol.

Just off the top of my head, and maybe I am anticipating the warm weather too much, I thought of a ceviche (or shrimp boiled in the citrus, then peeled). Would add just a tad of hot sauce to the shrimp marinade or boil.

One could make a slaw using the cukes as a base (removing the seeds and shredding or making a julianne) and then adding carrots, red peppers, and some finely chopped shallots. Would use a vinagrette. If you want to toss in some small broccoli florets I think it might work.

Then would slice the Romas lengthwise, take out the pulp, and fill with shrimp.

Would make a bed of slaw, toss on the remaining shrimp, sprinkle on small pieces of the feta, and a few larger slices of the peppers for display. Could also put on a few slices or citrus or of reserved cukes for garnish. Would then top with the tomatoes filled with the shrimp and sprinkle the whole thing with finely chopped green onions.

Would then serve on the deck with a nice wine.

Hope we didn't have to use everything.

Never tried this sort of thing before.

Thanks htc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom