"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

By all means look at dietary guidelines, particularly before feeding him potatoes. Salt will be a no no also.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Constance

My heart goes out to you. It can be difficult to know what to do for a loved one who is failing. I had the same situation with my Mom (she passed a couple of months ago).

My Mom had no dietary restrictions but over several years she gradually lost interest in food. I did cook for her but in the end she ate very little. As for your FIL, between the heart failure and the diabetes there certainly would be dietary restrictions so, like others, I think you should check with his doctor.

It is always a difficult balancing act between the quality and quantity of life. In this I think it is best to take your cues from your FIL.

With my Mom, it made me feel better to be able to *do* something. Ultimately, I remembered this line from Milton's poem On His Blindness
They also serve who only stand and wait

Simply being there is a gift. Your undemanding company is the food of love.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
Master Chef

Thank all of you for your kind thoughts and ideas. I don't know if FIL is going to continue dialysis or not...his son and my daughter had to talk him into it when he was in the hospital. He's had so many surgeries and treatments in the past few years, I think he's just tired and wants to go "home".
I haven't talked with his doctors, but my daughter has, and she thought the potato soup would be fine. He's awfully thin, and doesn't have any appetite. I did go light on the salt, but there's a little bacon in the soup. I know the starch turns to sugar, but I doubt he'll eat enough at a time to cause any problems. Just in case, though, I'll have her ask his doctor before they bring him home.

Thanks for the idea about the cheese and fruit. I think he'd really like that.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
Head Chef

A patient with congestive heart failure and kidney shutdown needing dialysis is not all that uncommon.

If it is a reasonable size hospital they should have a dietician/nutritionist (make sure the person is certified) who can help.

A previous next door neighbor has a very weak heart and is on dialysis and his wife has to very careful what she prepares.

All I can suggest is get some very professional help and do your best.

God bless.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thank you, Aunt Dot.
They found an abcess in his stomach today, and had to take hiim into surgery to drain it. He may not be able to eat much of anything for a while.

It breaks my heart to see such a good man going through all this. They just don't make'em like him anymore. His wife has been gone for 20 years, and he nursed her through 7 years of bone cancer. He has an 8th grade education, but managed to make himself a millionare by hard work and a little luck. He, like my dad, was at Omaha Beach. My dad was a motor mac, and he was a medic.

My daughter is going to come get a container of the potato soup and put it in the fridge, hoping that he can get home in the next few days. She says ever since she told him about it, it's the one thing he's been craving.
I feel complimented by that, and even if he only eats a bite, at least I've been able to give him something that comforts him.