Food Grade Lavender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Spice House has it. They are an offshoot of Penzey's -- sort of.

Lavender Flower Buds, Food Grade, Dried

I just spend about a million dolars there this weekend and it was all really fresh, tasty and cheap.

Like June said, it is also very easy to grow on your own.
Thanks Jenny, I ordered some things from then today,They alll looked great.
kadesma

Mostly I just enjoy the lavender in the garden. I do use Penzey's herbes de Provence, but I don't make my own.

Just got back from visiting my son in Bloomington Indiana, and he took me to the farmers market--bought great green beans, and 9 different kinds of lavender plants. At $1 each, I couldn't resist. Also got some pretty lilies and a couple other perennials.

Lavender Mojito
(makes 2)

Fill iced glass with crushed ice.
Add:
3 oz Light Rum
3 oz Club Soda
1 oz Rose(or lavender)-infused Simple Syrup (recipe below)
3-5 Mint leaves muddled with the syrup
Juice from 2 Fresh Limes
2 mint sprigs (for garnish)
Fresh lavender blossoms (for garnish)
Lavender Sugar (for glass rims - recipe below)

• Combine the white Rum, Club Soda, Rose or Lavender-infused simple syrup, and lime juice. Dip rim of glass in Lavender Sugar (recipe below)
• Pour into glasses and top off with more ice and sparking or soda water
• Garnish with mint sprig and fresh lavender blossoms
• wear FlipFlops & a Sarong (or white shorts & a tan for the guys)
• Sip and hum "Lavender Blue" YouTube - Lavender Blue by Robin Spielberg (Relaxing Music) HD
Lavender Sugar
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 small Vanilla Bean cut in half lengthwise and then cut into teensy pieces
1 TBsp dried culinary Lavender Buds

Rose (or Lavender)-infused Simple Syrup
Combine 1 Cup of granulated sugar with 1 Cup of water and boil until sugar is melted...about 3 minutes. Add culinary Rose (or Lavender Blossoms) to the mixture and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes...then remove the blossoms.

Attachments

• Lavender Mojito drink.jpg
    Lavender Mojito drink.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 230
I like lavender-spiked iced tea. Have one of those "Mr. Coffee" iced tea machines & I just sprinkle about a tablespoon of dried lavender buds over the tea bags. Gives a nice floral note to the tea.

Made a Lavender Mint Cheesecake, and I like it. My wife says it tastes like plants though. I know I didnt use enough mint (about equal to the lavender) so it was quite floral, and not very minty. Cest la vie, need to play more :D

Mint cheese cake??? Hmmmm I have a lot if mint growing in my herb garden. Care to share the recipe?

actually all i did was make a standard cheesecake, but add in finely chopped mint leaves and lavender. It didnt turn out how I wanted it flavor wise, still needs some playing.

How did I miss this thread! I have some questions for you experts. I bought two lavender plants from the local nursery label read, Lavandula x Intermedia, "Grosso". I've never used it in cooking but dry the leaves for the aroma. How do I know if this if food grade? Can I save the seeds and start my own plants which I would assume would be organic at that point? And finally, are only the flowers used in cooking or can I use the leaves too?

No worries! Use your lavendar in cooking to your heart's content. Except for the few things I grow from seed, all of my herb plants come from nurseries. Regular nurseries - not "organic". Because of their strong oil content, herb plants don't suffer from the same pests as other plants, & thus are rarely, if ever, grown with the same complement of pesticides/fungicides, etc., etc. as other vegetation. And certainly nothing toxic.

As for which part(s) to use, I've only seen recipes for & have personally only used the flowers & flower buds. I'm thinking the leaves would most likely be overly strong & a bit bitter to consume, but haven't had personal experience with them.

Thanks Breezy,
I love the smell and make those little pillow things with bay leaf and lavender to stuff in cupboards and drawers to keep the bugs out. The joys of country living! In my searching it's always been the flowers for food too. Perhaps I'll try the leaves as long as they don't seem to be toxic. Love your kitty picture. I have six furbabies. They give me such pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom