"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #41
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
all my life i didn't like mustard - hated that fast food places commonly used a combination of mustard, ketchup and relish on their burgers. i would always open my sandwich and scrape off the mustard, adding numerous packets of ketchup to mask any remaining mustard taste. one day i woke up and liked mustard. just like that. today, i keep three different types of mustard on hand, use and enjoy them frequently.
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
all my life i didn't like mustard - hated that fast food places commonly used a combination of mustard, ketchup and relish on their burgers. i would always open my sandwich and scrape off the mustard, adding numerous packets of ketchup to mask any remaining mustard taste. one day i woke up and liked mustard. just like that. today, i keep three different types of mustard on hand, use and enjoy them frequently.
Only three? I guess you have to start somewhere!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I agree, Babe. Also, I only get the baby (petite) frozen peas, the regular ones are mealy for me too. Run them under hot water in a colander for a few seconds and throw them in my salads. Yum.
those are the ones i buy, too. also buy canned baby limas. don't care for the frozen version of these.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
I loved lima beans (we always had frozen). I find that edamane (sp) beans remind me of the lima beans from my childhood...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
shelling and eating edamame reminds me of lima beans too. they are so full of flavor and goodness. i like to cook, careful not to overcook, a pound of edamames, toss with nothing but a bit of butter, salt and pepper. they make a wonderful snack or meal all by themselves. i usually eat them with my fingers, one at a time, as fast as i can get them to my mouth, squirrel-like. so goood.
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
shelling and eating edamame reminds me of lima beans too. they are so full of flavor and goodness. i like to cook, careful not to overcook, a pound of edamames, toss with nothing but a bit of butter, salt and pepper. they make a wonderful snack or meal all by themselves. i usually eat them with my fingers, one at a time, as fast as i can get them to my mouth, squirrel-like. so goood.
A friend frequently travels to Japan, where they are used as bar snacks, in the shell. Scrape and eat. They are yummy!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,739
hmm, that's funny come to think of it. i love edamame, but there just something about lima beans. maybe if i salted the hell out of them with a few pints or sakes under my belt, i might change my mind.

i cut the lawn and cleaned up the garden a bit today, and wouldn't you know it those darn lima beans have rooted and there was new growth with tendrils looking for somewhere to climb.

blech.

and lol, fee, about only 3 kinds of mustard.

i have around a dozen at home right now.

vit, try mustard with chesses. they work so well together. my fave is spicy brown with raw onions and cheddar on whole grain, seedy crackers.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Just pretend they are edameme (add soy sauce and butter) and maybe you can get them down...pick them when they are the size of edamene? I keep bugging the DH to plant soy in the field...the problem is, deer like soy beans...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Just pretend they are edameme (add soy sauce and butter) and maybe you can get them down...pick them when they are the size of edamene? I keep bugging the DH to plant soy in the field...the problem is, deer like soy beans...
As do the bunnies. I had to plant three successive crops one year. Every single leaf munched off. Nothing but bare stems left. Finally planted
them in a raised bed with chicken wire over top. Not growing them this year.

With all the rain we've had, the farmers seem to be doing OK with the soybean fields around here. Do not know how they handle their deer problems.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
As do the bunnies. I had to plant three successive crops one year. Every single leaf munched off. Nothing but bare stems left. Finally planted
them in a raised bed with chicken wire over top. Not growing them this year.

With all the rain we've had, the farmers seem to be doing OK with the soybean fields around here. Do not know how they handle their deer problems.
Venison...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.