Food I HATED as a kid, like/love it today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a big fan of any mustard. I pretty much limit its use to hot dogs, pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. That said, I like Gulden's brown mustard best. I have no problem with French's yellow mustard on a hot dog.

in an effort to tie things together, i hated plain yellow mustard as a kid. i wouldn't eat a hot dog if someone put it on, even hidden under sauerkraut or onions. oddly enough, i loved (and still do) gulden's spicy brown.

i still don't like yellow mustard that much as a going concern, but i've found it works well mixed into a marinade or rub as o.c. mentioned.

the yellow mustard in my fridge sees far more action than my other mustards, and not just because i have grandkids who have to have it for their bologna and their hot dogs either. i go to the little mustard pot when making egg salad or deviled eggs. i add a smidgen of the "f" mustard, can we call it that--to my enormously popular chicken salad, and gobs go into most potato salads i make. then of course there are the meatloaves, the bar-b-ques, etc., etc. in the end, the f mustard may not be my favorite mustard of them all, but it sure turns out to be the most useful of the lot....

the spicy brown and the horseradish mustards, especially the horseradish, have nice bold accents and i like them both. but i was introduced to them together with certain deli meats, which i rarely, if ever, purchase anymore. the plain yellow mustard i keep on hand largely for my grandkids, who are not likely to give up their mustard, american cheese and iceberg lettuce for something better any time soon.:)

I really love the more substantial mustard, like the stone ground on a hamburger. The horseradish on Kosher Hotdogs. I like using them in my potato salad, too!

I really love the more substantial mustard, like the stone ground on a hamburger. The horseradish on Kosher Hotdogs. I like using them in my potato salad, too!

i agree with pf that the more complex and full-bodied mustards are generally better equipped to bring your sausage or hamburger sandwich to new heights of greatness than the f mustard is capable of doing, but obladi oblada to that already and forever....today i had my first of the season blue crabs, yayy! they're from maryland, my old stomping grounds, yayy! they were every bit as wonderful, old bay sinfully...hey, what's with that mustardy stuff in there...okay to eat, you say? the gills, no, i know...oh, you say it's a male? right, so uh...i'm just not into this in-the-shell gourmet musta--y'know what would really rock in here--gulden's spicy brown....:)

it occurs to me that my early rejection of fish had nothing to do with taste, and everything to do with the fish bones that were getting stuck in my throat. as a little child i was simply incapable of effectively separating out the bones from the fish on my plate. and then, my coughing and carrying on about the bone would just further exacerbate the situation--as i was now displaying bad table manners as well...how i dreaded fish night in those days. fish were my enemy. but many tears and many years later, my fish problems were finally solved once and for all by my new friend who came to serve and to stay at our house one fine day - fish fillet.

Foods I hated as a kid but love now:

Deli-ry with caraway seeds
radishes
horseradish
green olives
dill pickles

Flavors I still can't handle:
black licorice
horehound
spearmint
peppermint
okra
grits

Though I love that little bit of anise in Chines 5-spice powder, but in very small amounts.

I have always loved all kinds of veggies, meats, and fruits. I have always loved fresh fish, or even fish sticks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
if you would just substitute "wintergreen" for grits your list and mine would be a perfect fit.

My father used to force me to eat bananas till I got sick, I eat them fried with breakfast now or cooked in food but haven't touched a raw banana since! Won't even try, the thought makes me feel green :(
I eat all other fruits and veg cooked, raw etc.
I have a few foods that I still don't like but I will eat anything if someone cooks for me. Hate being rude and apart from those darn bananas I can eat anything without gagging..lol!

i remember my first banana encounter as if it was happening today in real time. i was five, a nice lady gave the banana to me for a special new treat, and waited expectantly, along with my parents, to witness me eating it. i was immediately sickened by the banana's slippery sliminess in my mouth. to my utter horror, i was forced to finish eating the disgustingly yucky fruit, and show a thankful face to the nice lady to boot. that was my first and last banana for some fifteen years. the very smell, from across the room even, made me gag. today i eat banana bread and pudding, but still have a mild aversion to raw bananas that i am unable to overcome.

i remember my first banana encounter as if it was happening today in real time. i was five, a nice lady gave the banana to me for a special new treat, and waited expectantly, along with my parents, to witness me eating it. i was immediately sickened by the banana's slippery sliminess in my mouth. to my utter horror, i was forced to finish eating the disgustingly yucky fruit, and show a thankful face to the nice lady to boot. that was my first and last banana for some fifteen years. the very smell, from across the room even, made me gag. today i eat banana bread and pudding, but still have a mild aversion to raw bananas that i am unable to overcome.

Right back at ya..lol!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom