Food I HATED as a kid, like/love it today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all my life i didn't like mustard - hated that fast food places commonly used a combination of mustard, ketchup and relish on their burgers. i would always open my sandwich and scrape off the mustard, adding numerous packets of ketchup to mask any remaining mustard taste. one day i woke up and liked mustard. just like that. today, i keep three different types of mustard on hand, use and enjoy them frequently.

all my life i didn't like mustard - hated that fast food places commonly used a combination of mustard, ketchup and relish on their burgers. i would always open my sandwich and scrape off the mustard, adding numerous packets of ketchup to mask any remaining mustard taste. one day i woke up and liked mustard. just like that. today, i keep three different types of mustard on hand, use and enjoy them frequently.

Only three? I guess you have to start somewhere!:)

shelling and eating edamame reminds me of lima beans too. they are so full of flavor and goodness. i like to cook, careful not to overcook, a pound of edamames, toss with nothing but a bit of butter, salt and pepper. they make a wonderful snack or meal all by themselves. i usually eat them with my fingers, one at a time, as fast as i can get them to my mouth, squirrel-like. so goood.

vitauta said:
shelling and eating edamame reminds me of lima beans too. they are so full of flavor and goodness. i like to cook, careful not to overcook, a pound of edamames, toss with nothing but a bit of butter, salt and pepper. they make a wonderful snack or meal all by themselves. i usually eat them with my fingers, one at a time, as fast as i can get them to my mouth, squirrel-like. so goood.

A friend frequently travels to Japan, where they are used as bar snacks, in the shell. Scrape and eat. They are yummy!

hmm, that's funny come to think of it. i love edamame, but there just something about lima beans. maybe if i salted the hell out of them with a few pints or sakes under my belt, i might change my mind.

i cut the lawn and cleaned up the garden a bit today, and wouldn't you know it those darn lima beans have rooted and there was new growth with tendrils looking for somewhere to climb.

blech. :glare:

and lol, fee, about only 3 kinds of mustard.

i have around a dozen at home right now.

vit, try mustard with chesses. they work so well together. my fave is spicy brown with raw onions and cheddar on whole grain, seedy crackers.

Last edited:
Just pretend they are edameme (add soy sauce and butter) and maybe you can get them down...pick them when they are the size of edamene? I keep bugging the DH to plant soy in the field...the problem is, deer like soy beans...

CWS4322 said:
Just pretend they are edameme (add soy sauce and butter) and maybe you can get them down...pick them when they are the size of edamene? I keep bugging the DH to plant soy in the field...the problem is, deer like soy beans...

As do the bunnies. I had to plant three successive crops one year. Every single leaf munched off. Nothing but bare stems left. Finally planted
them in a raised bed with chicken wire over top. Not growing them this year.

With all the rain we've had, the farmers seem to be doing OK with the soybean fields around here. Do not know how they handle their deer problems.

As do the bunnies. I had to plant three successive crops one year. Every single leaf munched off. Nothing but bare stems left. Finally planted
them in a raised bed with chicken wire over top. Not growing them this year.

With all the rain we've had, the farmers seem to be doing OK with the soybean fields around here. Do not know how they handle their deer problems.

Venison...

what? now even the deer don't like lima beans? buckytom, go ahead and mow down them little lima plants, tendrils and all, i'm done with it....

When I was a kid I HAD to eat 5 small bites of pork chop. It was a huge struggle as I hated the meat. Now, I love them and cook them so many different ways!

couldn't eat any seafood other than tuna fish sandwiches or swordfish. we'd go to cape cod every year and every year i hated it because it was fish fish fish everywhere we went...plus I had to slather ketchup all over the swordfish just to make it palatable.....

didn't like mustard as a kid, now I love it

but i still abhor asparagus

Back
Top Bottom