Food Network: Olive oil and Corn starch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhlake

Assistant Cook
Did anyone see the program last night that was a cooking competition in Miami Beach. Cat Cora was one of the judges.

I saw a chef do something interesting. He whisked together olive oil and corn starch and said that it makes the tastes of the dish melt in the mouth of the eater. Looking intriguing. The judges seemed to like it as well.

What is the name of that technique? Anyone ever do that before?

Zhlake said:
Did anyone see the program last night that was a cooking competition in Miami Beach. Cat Cora was one of the judges.

I saw a chef do something interesting. He whisked together olive oil and corn starch and said that it makes the tastes of the dish melt in the mouth of the eater. Looking intriguing. The judges seemed to like it as well.

What is the name of that technique? Anyone ever do that before?

How exactly did he incorporate this into the dish? If it was as a marinade, it could be similar to the Chinese technique of "velvetting" which normally involves egg whites and cornstarch. This could be a new way of doing that, but hard to say unless you specify how it was used in the dish.

Well I tried to google to see if there was any description of this technique, but I can't seem to find anything.

jennyema said:
Olive oil and uncooked cornstarch used as a sauce?

It appeared that he was cooking it. He was whisking it in a sauce pan.

Come on...didn't anyone else see this?? I know I am not making this up! :LOL:

That is about all I know!

He had olive oil and corn starch in a sauce pan and was whisking it! He then spooned it over the the lobster.

I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else had caught that.

I am sure there is more to the technique than that, but that is all they showed.

Yeah, it must be. He said that "not many chefs are doing this in this country."

The show will be on again on the 12th at 6pm and the 13th at 3pm Eastern time.

They only briefly describe this technique so don't blink! The chef who makes this is a british guy.

Zhlake said:
The show will be on again on the 12th at 6pm and the 13th at 3pm Eastern time.

They only briefly describe this technique so don't blink! The chef who makes this is a british guy.

THAT would explain it.
We Brits do some funny things!:LOL:

I saw it...it was olive oil and a cornstarch derivative called maltodextrin. It was wisked together in a pan, but I'm not sure it was over heat.

Robo410 said:
I saw it...it was olive oil and a cornstarch derivative called maltodextrin. It was wisked together in a pan, but I'm not sure it was over heat.

Oh yes you are right! I totally forgot they said that!

Robo410 said:

Aha! Maltodextrin is used in brewing beer and such, so I actually know a bit about it. It's a non-fermentable sugar (although it doesn't add a sweet taste) that is often used to add body/mouthfeel to a beer. (or wine, or cider, etc.)

I can't say if it would make something "melt in your mouth" but it would defintely affect the mouthfeel of a dish.

John

Robo410 said:

he created "powdered" olive oil... i saw it too.

it was just maltodextrin as you mentioned whisked together with olive oil. i'm sure the proportions are very important... he didn't even get close to disclosing that info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom