"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

Amen Mitmondol!!!! I second those feelings exactly!!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe what you are all really looking for is a Foodie Network. A network that is aimed at us, people who care more about food and cooking than most.

That would be a different mix of shows altogether.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe what you are all really looking for is a Foodie Network. A network that is aimed at us, people who care more about food and cooking than most.

That would be a different mix of shows altogether.

Andy, that's my point, it used to be a different mix of shows and it SHOULD be a different mix of shows!
After all, we always hear how much they want to educate, get people in the kitchen. Not to mention all the talk about making Americans eat healthier, fresh ingredients etc.
Now how this current set of shows is supposed to do all that?

I'm not a beginner in cooking, don't need basic education. But would be much happier if the programs went along those lines too.
What bothers me and why I do not watch foodtv anymore, is the fact that it became entertainment, commercial focused and has not a lot to do with food and cooking anymore.
If I wished for a Foodie network, I would want more sophisticated recipes all the time.
But instead, I wish for an honest ,food and GOOD cooking focused programming, one that would educate, one that would teach appreciation of the art of cooking, that would REALLY inspire to get in there and start doing it.
Isn't that the claimed goal of foodtv?
I like to be entertained, but go to other channels for that.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol View Post
I'm not a beginner in cooking, don't need basic education.
The majority of the people that now watch that channel though ARE beginner cooks and DO need that type of education. FoodTV still covers the basics every day and people do learn from it.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol View Post
...But instead, I wish for an honest ,food and GOOD cooking focused programming, one that would educate, one that would teach appreciation of the art of cooking, that would REALLY inspire to get in there and start doing it.
Isn't that the claimed goal of foodtv?...

Actually, this is their stated goal. What you've stated is your goal for foodie tv.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Andy, one question.
Are you happy with foodtv?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

No.

However, I understand they are trying to maximize their viewers so they can make more money on ads and to get more cable companies to pick up the network so they can make more money. They are in this for the money. It's not an altruistc venture.

This is why I limit my FTV viewing to a few shows I'm interested in and focus on PBS for real cooking shows.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #28
Senior Cook

While FoodTV has changed over the years (not necessarily for the better), so have I. When I began watching, I was a novice to cooking. I wanted to learn more about the different kinds of food out there. I absolutely loved to watch Emeril. He was fairly entertaining, he taught basic techniques, and he introduced me to new foods I hadn't played around with before.

As I became a more experienced home cook, I sought more advanced, adventurous programs like Iron Chef (Japan at the time) and I even liked to see some of the travel shows for ideas on different ways to prepare things. Now, I usually only watch Iron Chef, sometimes Good Eats, and every once in a while whatever's on.

I think Food Network counts on this natural cycle. There are people right now who are where I was years ago. They don't think Emeril's jokes are old yet. They're still picking up tips from pretty much every show they watch. When they're worn out from the network's programming, there will be somebody new to replace them. I don't get upset with food network's programming because I realize if I were more inexperienced it would be more interesting. I spend much more time reading cook books now than watching FoodTV.

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cp View Post

AMEN!!

If I wanted to watch freakin' travel shows - yeah... there's a network for that and it's called "THE TRAVEL CHANNEL" - comon FoodTV - for the LOVE OF GOD - make Giada's cleavage and huge bobble-head, Rachel's stupid "I need to be punched in the face now" snicker-laugh, Emerils "BAM! I don't know where you get your water, but where I get mine it don't come seasoned" stale jokes, Paula's annoying laugh and ungodly love of butter come to a STOP!!

Best shows on that channel are:

Good Eats
Iron Chef America
Tyler's Ultimate
Malto Mario
Boy Meets Grill

I miss Naked Chef and East Meets West tho...
co-sign 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
As I said before, opinions are fine, but being disrespectful is not. It is clearly stated in the Community Policies and is the very first thing listed.
opinions are fine but they can't be negative? is that what you're saying here?

well, sometimes there are opinions, and a lot of the time, those opinions are harsh-but truthful.

if this website is NOT directly supported by advertisement dollars from foodnetwork, et.al., i think a person's HONEST opinion can be and should be valued OVER a "let's be nice to all the folks on food network" agenda.

edit: and in addition to this comment (which i'm sure will be deleted), i'd just like to say that discovery home channel may NOT have the food network audience, but at least they have more variety from people with different personalities, cooking styles, etc., and not just italian food all day, every day with a little flay & tyler thrown in for good measure.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

There's a difference between personal attacks and criticism of the show. One is not allowed, the other is.

If you want to say you don't care for a show or the show's host, no one will have an issue with that. If, however, you feel compelled to make personal attacks on someone's appearance or mannerisms, that's is childish and not acceptable. Surely you can see the difference.