"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
Cook

I miss Iron Chef. :( That show made the Food Network for me. Now all it has left is Alton Brown...and they don't even sell DVDs of Iron Chef!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This is a never ending battle. I will state it again and those that have heard it - on the count of 3 you can roll your eyes 1 - 2 - 3

For those that DON'T know, Food TV had their own message board - just like this one. Each TV host/ess had their own message board where they would sometimes show up and chat and it would just be a place where people could talk about/amongst themselves about that particular tv host/ess and their cooking/recipes/shows. Talking turned to bashing turned to cussing turned into "they had to shut the boards down because not one person could say a civilized thing without someone bashing them into the ground".

What ashame that a BIG company like FoodTV had to shut the boards down because they just couldn't keep up with all that nastiness. Well - let me tell you what happened then. FoodTV closed their boards down and a huge number of people came here. I watched the same members from there come here to carry on the bashing/hatred/cussing. I was determined that it was not going to happen here. Discuss Cooking was NOT the "new" FoodTV bashing board. Personally, I think most of the hatred was because it's easier to feel big when you cut someone down.

It wasn't tolerated then and it won't be tolerated now. Discuss Cooking is not going to become a place where we can belittle, humiliate, and discredit FoodTV personalities. I'm sorry but hatred is "easy" - especially towards someone you don't even know.

My final word would be "open your eyes". If you open your eyes and MAKE THE CHOICE to gain one thing from each show you watch I guarantee you will learn something. If the only thing you take away from a show is a criticism about the host/ess then I'd say you truly haven't opened your eyes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Definitely one of the many reasons why I don't watch Food Network anymore except for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" & Sara Moulton's morning show (which, thankfully, they haven't cancelled yet as was predicted earlier this year).

The rest of the Network can go to Hades for all I care. Pseudo-SuperStar Emeril (a legend in his own mind), Paula Dean (Queen of Grease), Rachel Ray (with her 30 gazillion airings of her many shows), & now Giarda with her travel shows have absolutely ZERO to do with cooking, as far as I'm concerned.

I SO SO SO SO miss the good old days of Julia Child, The Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr - heck, anyone who would just frickin COOK. COOK to US - not an audience of pseudo "friends". Geez. I find it really really REALLY SAD if this is what cooking means these days to people. Glitz, fat, travel, & glamor.

I don't think I've watched Food Network for more than a few times a month these days, where a few years ago I used to have it on almost 24/7. And I'm not alone. That should tell the network something. But apparently it doesn't.
Breezy: those shows of Sara's that you get in the mornings are reruns. That show's been canceled for a long time.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Hellooooooo Miss Marge.

Keep the lights on tonight...I think you gonna have some business!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
This is a never ending battle. I will state it again and those that have heard it - on the count of 3 you can roll your eyes 1 - 2 - 3

For those that DON'T know, Food TV had their own message board - just like this one. Each TV host/ess had their own message board where they would sometimes show up and chat and it would just be a place where people could talk about/amongst themselves about that particular tv host/ess and their cooking/recipes/shows. Talking turned to bashing turned to cussing turned into "they had to shut the boards down because not one person could say a civilized thing without someone bashing them into the ground".

What ashame that a BIG company like FoodTV had to shut the boards down because they just couldn't keep up with all that nastiness. Well - let me tell you what happened then. FoodTV closed their boards down and a huge number of people came here. I watched the same members from there come here to carry on the bashing/hatred/cussing. I was determined that it was not going to happen here. Discuss Cooking was NOT the "new" FoodTV bashing board. Personally, I think most of the hatred was because it's easier to feel big when you cut someone down.

It wasn't tolerated then and it won't be tolerated now. Discuss Cooking is not going to become a place where we can belittle, humiliate, and discredit FoodTV personalities. I'm sorry but hatred is "easy" - especially towards someone you don't even know.

My final word would be "open your eyes". If you open your eyes and MAKE THE CHOICE to gain one thing from each show you watch I guarantee you will learn something. If the only thing you take away from a show is a criticism about the host/ess then I'd say you truly haven't opened your eyes.
You are so right, KE! The other word is that no one is making anyone watch the shows. If you don't like them, just switch the channel or turn the tv off!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post

i don't think an honest opinion or critique WITHOUT BEING NASTY isn't detrimental to food network.

they are NOT cooking royalty, right?

true, you can learn a LOT from foodnetwork, but lately, it's MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
...MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.
The travel shows don't teach techniques. They don't pretend to. In my opinion, they ofen do a good job of exposing viewers to new foods, new dishes and the food culture of other countries or different parts of this country.

There is more than one way to expand your food knowledge.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
i don't think an honest opinion or critique WITHOUT BEING NASTY isn't detrimental to food network.

they are NOT cooking royalty, right?

true, you can learn a LOT from foodnetwork, but lately, it's MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.
Nothing is detrimental to the food network to the point of shutting them down. The Food TV boards, however, DID indeed get shut down because this IS a volatile topic. The point is that most people have avoided this thread because it can be volatile, and they know it, and it goes nowhere fast. It HAS gotten nasty here and that is not OK because unlike the Food TV message boards Discuss Cooking has moderators and administrators that keep things civilized. Things will not get out of control here like they did there. The end. This thread is old and I think things have been discussed as much as they can be discussed. That's just the way it is. There are message boards where things are a free-for-all but it's not that way here.

I am closing this thread. I think we've done the best we can with keeping Discuss Cooking a place where people don't have to deal with what happened on the Food TV boards. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Closed Thread