Food Network = travel show with food 2nd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe what you are all really looking for is a Foodie Network. A network that is aimed at us, people who care more about food and cooking than most.

That would be a different mix of shows altogether.

I believe what you are all really looking for is a Foodie Network. A network that is aimed at us, people who care more about food and cooking than most.

That would be a different mix of shows altogether.

Andy, that's my point, it used to be a different mix of shows and it SHOULD be a different mix of shows!
After all, we always hear how much they want to educate, get people in the kitchen. Not to mention all the talk about making Americans eat healthier, fresh ingredients etc.
Now how this current set of shows is supposed to do all that?:)

I'm not a beginner in cooking, don't need basic education. But would be much happier if the programs went along those lines too.
What bothers me and why I do not watch foodtv anymore, is the fact that it became entertainment, commercial focused and has not a lot to do with food and cooking anymore.
If I wished for a Foodie network, I would want more sophisticated recipes all the time.
But instead, I wish for an honest ,food and GOOD cooking focused programming, one that would educate, one that would teach appreciation of the art of cooking, that would REALLY inspire to get in there and start doing it.
Isn't that the claimed goal of foodtv?
I like to be entertained, but go to other channels for that.

I'm not a beginner in cooking, don't need basic education.
The majority of the people that now watch that channel though ARE beginner cooks and DO need that type of education. FoodTV still covers the basics every day and people do learn from it.

...But instead, I wish for an honest ,food and GOOD cooking focused programming, one that would educate, one that would teach appreciation of the art of cooking, that would REALLY inspire to get in there and start doing it.
Isn't that the claimed goal of foodtv?...

Actually, this is their stated goal. What you've stated is your goal for foodie tv.

No.

However, I understand they are trying to maximize their viewers so they can make more money on ads and to get more cable companies to pick up the network so they can make more money. They are in this for the money. It's not an altruistc venture.

This is why I limit my FTV viewing to a few shows I'm interested in and focus on PBS for real cooking shows.

While FoodTV has changed over the years (not necessarily for the better), so have I. When I began watching, I was a novice to cooking. I wanted to learn more about the different kinds of food out there. I absolutely loved to watch Emeril. He was fairly entertaining, he taught basic techniques, and he introduced me to new foods I hadn't played around with before.

As I became a more experienced home cook, I sought more advanced, adventurous programs like Iron Chef (Japan at the time) and I even liked to see some of the travel shows for ideas on different ways to prepare things. Now, I usually only watch Iron Chef, sometimes Good Eats, and every once in a while whatever's on.

I think Food Network counts on this natural cycle. There are people right now who are where I was years ago. They don't think Emeril's jokes are old yet. They're still picking up tips from pretty much every show they watch. When they're worn out from the network's programming, there will be somebody new to replace them. I don't get upset with food network's programming because I realize if I were more inexperienced it would be more interesting. I spend much more time reading cook books now than watching FoodTV.

Cheers!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

AMEN!!

If I wanted to watch freakin' travel shows - yeah... there's a network for that and it's called "THE TRAVEL CHANNEL" - comon FoodTV - for the LOVE OF GOD - make Giada's cleavage and huge bobble-head, Rachel's stupid "I need to be punched in the face now" snicker-laugh, Emerils "BAM! I don't know where you get your water, but where I get mine it don't come seasoned" stale jokes, Paula's annoying laugh and ungodly love of butter come to a STOP!!

Best shows on that channel are:

Good Eats
Iron Chef America
Tyler's Ultimate
Malto Mario
Boy Meets Grill

I miss Naked Chef and East Meets West tho...

co-sign 100%.

As I said before, opinions are fine, but being disrespectful is not. It is clearly stated in the Community Policies and is the very first thing listed.

opinions are fine but they can't be negative? is that what you're saying here?

well, sometimes there are opinions, and a lot of the time, those opinions are harsh-but truthful.

if this website is NOT directly supported by advertisement dollars from foodnetwork, et.al., i think a person's HONEST opinion can be and should be valued OVER a "let's be nice to all the folks on food network" agenda.

edit: and in addition to this comment (which i'm sure will be deleted), i'd just like to say that discovery home channel may NOT have the food network audience, but at least they have more variety from people with different personalities, cooking styles, etc., and not just italian food all day, every day with a little flay & tyler thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:
There's a difference between personal attacks and criticism of the show. One is not allowed, the other is.

If you want to say you don't care for a show or the show's host, no one will have an issue with that. If, however, you feel compelled to make personal attacks on someone's appearance or mannerisms, that's is childish and not acceptable. Surely you can see the difference.

I miss Iron Chef. :( That show made the Food Network for me. Now all it has left is Alton Brown...and they don't even sell DVDs of Iron Chef!

This is a never ending battle. I will state it again and those that have heard it - on the count of 3 you can roll your eyes :LOL: 1 - 2 - 3 :rolleyes: :LOL:

For those that DON'T know, Food TV had their own message board - just like this one. Each TV host/ess had their own message board where they would sometimes show up and chat and it would just be a place where people could talk about/amongst themselves about that particular tv host/ess and their cooking/recipes/shows. Talking turned to bashing turned to cussing turned into "they had to shut the boards down because not one person could say a civilized thing without someone bashing them into the ground".

What ashame that a BIG company like FoodTV had to shut the boards down because they just couldn't keep up with all that nastiness. Well - let me tell you what happened then. FoodTV closed their boards down and a huge number of people came here. I watched the same members from there come here to carry on the bashing/hatred/cussing. I was determined that it was not going to happen here. Discuss Cooking was NOT the "new" FoodTV bashing board. Personally, I think most of the hatred was because it's easier to feel big when you cut someone down.

It wasn't tolerated then and it won't be tolerated now. Discuss Cooking is not going to become a place where we can belittle, humiliate, and discredit FoodTV personalities. I'm sorry but hatred is "easy" - especially towards someone you don't even know.

My final word would be "open your eyes". If you open your eyes and MAKE THE CHOICE to gain one thing from each show you watch I guarantee you will learn something. If the only thing you take away from a show is a criticism about the host/ess then I'd say you truly haven't opened your eyes.

Last edited:
Definitely one of the many reasons why I don't watch Food Network anymore except for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" & Sara Moulton's morning show (which, thankfully, they haven't cancelled yet as was predicted earlier this year).

The rest of the Network can go to Hades for all I care. Pseudo-SuperStar Emeril (a legend in his own mind), Paula Dean (Queen of Grease), Rachel Ray (with her 30 gazillion airings of her many shows), & now Giarda with her travel shows have absolutely ZERO to do with cooking, as far as I'm concerned.

I SO SO SO SO miss the good old days of Julia Child, The Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr - heck, anyone who would just frickin COOK. COOK to US - not an audience of pseudo "friends". Geez. I find it really really REALLY SAD if this is what cooking means these days to people. Glitz, fat, travel, & glamor.

I don't think I've watched Food Network for more than a few times a month these days, where a few years ago I used to have it on almost 24/7. And I'm not alone. That should tell the network something. But apparently it doesn't.
Breezy: those shows of Sara's that you get in the mornings are reruns. That show's been canceled for a long time. :mad:

This is a never ending battle. I will state it again and those that have heard it - on the count of 3 you can roll your eyes :LOL: 1 - 2 - 3 :rolleyes: :LOL:

For those that DON'T know, Food TV had their own message board - just like this one. Each TV host/ess had their own message board where they would sometimes show up and chat and it would just be a place where people could talk about/amongst themselves about that particular tv host/ess and their cooking/recipes/shows. Talking turned to bashing turned to cussing turned into "they had to shut the boards down because not one person could say a civilized thing without someone bashing them into the ground".

What ashame that a BIG company like FoodTV had to shut the boards down because they just couldn't keep up with all that nastiness. Well - let me tell you what happened then. FoodTV closed their boards down and a huge number of people came here. I watched the same members from there come here to carry on the bashing/hatred/cussing. I was determined that it was not going to happen here. Discuss Cooking was NOT the "new" FoodTV bashing board. Personally, I think most of the hatred was because it's easier to feel big when you cut someone down.

It wasn't tolerated then and it won't be tolerated now. Discuss Cooking is not going to become a place where we can belittle, humiliate, and discredit FoodTV personalities. I'm sorry but hatred is "easy" - especially towards someone you don't even know.

My final word would be "open your eyes". If you open your eyes and MAKE THE CHOICE to gain one thing from each show you watch I guarantee you will learn something. If the only thing you take away from a show is a criticism about the host/ess then I'd say you truly haven't opened your eyes.
You are so right, KE! The other word is that no one is making anyone watch the shows. If you don't like them, just switch the channel or turn the tv off! :ermm:

i don't think an honest opinion or critique WITHOUT BEING NASTY isn't detrimental to food network.

they are NOT cooking royalty, right?

true, you can learn a LOT from foodnetwork, but lately, it's MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.

...MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.

The travel shows don't teach techniques. They don't pretend to. In my opinion, they ofen do a good job of exposing viewers to new foods, new dishes and the food culture of other countries or different parts of this country.

There is more than one way to expand your food knowledge.

i don't think an honest opinion or critique WITHOUT BEING NASTY isn't detrimental to food network.

they are NOT cooking royalty, right?

true, you can learn a LOT from foodnetwork, but lately, it's MORE of a travel show than anything useful to someone trying to learn new techniques, etc.

Nothing is detrimental to the food network to the point of shutting them down. The Food TV boards, however, DID indeed get shut down because this IS a volatile topic. The point is that most people have avoided this thread because it can be volatile, and they know it, and it goes nowhere fast. It HAS gotten nasty here and that is not OK because unlike the Food TV message boards Discuss Cooking has moderators and administrators that keep things civilized. Things will not get out of control here like they did there. The end. This thread is old and I think things have been discussed as much as they can be discussed. That's just the way it is. There are message boards where things are a free-for-all but it's not that way here.

I am closing this thread. I think we've done the best we can with keeping Discuss Cooking a place where people don't have to deal with what happened on the Food TV boards. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom