"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Food Network = travel show with food 2nd

how many shows do they have with people just cooking versus all the travel shows?

almost EVERYONE on the network except emeril has a "traveling" show.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
"Traveling" shows do seem to be the trend at the present time. I kind of enjoy seeing different places. Gives me a chance to dream. I haven't been on a vacation in over 16 years so, at least, I can travel while I'm in my easy chair in the family room.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

I like the travel shows. Have even tried some of the places featured on them. Of course I also like the standard type cooking shows too.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Master Chef

Definitely one of the many reasons why I don't watch Food Network anymore except for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" & Sara Moulton's morning show (which, thankfully, they haven't cancelled yet as was predicted earlier this year).

The rest of the Network can go to Hades for all I care. Pseudo-SuperStar Emeril (a legend in his own mind), Paula Dean (Queen of Grease), Rachel Ray (with her 30 gazillion airings of her many shows), & now Giarda with her travel shows have absolutely ZERO to do with cooking, as far as I'm concerned.

I SO SO SO SO miss the good old days of Julia Child, The Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr - heck, anyone who would just frickin COOK. COOK to US - not an audience of pseudo "friends". Geez. I find it really really REALLY SAD if this is what cooking means these days to people. Glitz, fat, travel, & glamor.

I don't think I've watched Food Network for more than a few times a month these days, where a few years ago I used to have it on almost 24/7. And I'm not alone. That should tell the network something. But apparently it doesn't.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Something to remember is that it is not the Cooking Network or CookingTV. It is the Food Network and going to restaurants is part of food culture.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Something to remember is that it is not the Cooking Network or CookingTV. It is the Food Network and going to restaurants is part of food culture.
Good point of view, GB. It is always nice to enjoy a delicious meal at a new or favorite restaurant and share the experience with friends. The traveling cooking shows could be viewed the same way. I am always looking for a new and good place to eat. I always appreciate it when someone else does the investigating.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

That may very well be GB, but for those of us who remember Food Network when it first started & actually had a lot of quality cooking programming to offer, the switch to Rachel/Paula/Giada/Emeril tv is quite a difference.

I don't mind restaurant visits/reviews, etc., but nearly 24/7 of toothy grins & I-look-like-I'm-on-crack personalities in the kitchen & touring the country is hard to take, & I know quite a large number of people who have stopped watching the network because of it. Although I guess if they've gained folks who like that sort of thing, they probably don't care much.

Anyone willing to spend the bucks on a "Rachel Ray Knife Set" probably deserves the current Food Network lineup.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

FN is shooting for the biggest audience. That's the reason for these shows in place of the "good stuff". They may be losing the foodies but are gaining the general public. A broader audience not only gets them more money, it broadens the types of shows they can produce.

There's always PBS.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I remember FoodTV when it started and yes it is quite different now than it was back then. I happen to like Giada. I don't mind Rachael, I could do without Emerill. I have made recipes by all three of them and most of the recipes have been huge successes and ones I have made over and over again.

And say what you want about RR and Emerill, but they have done more to get the average person interested in cooking their own food than anyone else has in a long time.

But anyway, my point was that the Food Network is not doing anything devious or wrong about showing the travel type shows they seem to favor now. They are just being true to their name and not ONLY showing cooking.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

And just for the record, I do not watch any of those travel shows. The only FoodTV show I still watch is Good Eats. My food TV viewing all comes from public television now, but even they do travel shows now.

Closed Thread