Food or drink that helps you sleep.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that's a good idea, fee, but i'm not sure if dw will go for it.

i put up really thick room darkening drapes over one window, but i still have to do the other.

Maybe I'm mean, but DW doesn't have to try to sleep during the day so she can go to work. Sleep is a necessity, not an option. I used to work the shift you do, it's a bugger not getting the sleep.

BT, I bought black contact paper/shelf paper and put it over the bedroom windows, no light comes in. And the window still opens and closes..

How difficult would it be to get the contact paper back off the windows if needed? We're renting our current place and when we move we'll likely be renting again, so I would want to do this if it didn't come off. Otherwise, it sounds like a great idea, although part of me is hoping my next job isn't on thirds. But I'm also a night owl so...

How difficult would it be to get the contact paper back off the windows if needed? We're renting our current place and when we move we'll likely be renting again, so I would want to do this if it didn't come off. Otherwise, it sounds like a great idea, although part of me is hoping my next job isn't on thirds. But I'm also a night owl so...

It peels off nicely, it's actually a vinyl sheet.

I wonder if the maker of Five Hour Energy drinks (caffeine and marketing) will come out with little 2.oz plastic shooter bottles to get you drowsy?

Combine some Trytophan, melatonin, anti-histimine and vitamins into a 2 oz. plastic shot bottle and you got the makings of another market hit.

Buy one to get you up, the other to get you down.

I wonder if the maker of Five Hour Energy drinks (caffeine and marketing) will come out with little 2.oz plastic shooter bottles to get you drowsy?

Combine some Trytophan, melatonin, anti-histimine and vitamins into a 2 oz. plastic shot bottle and you got the makings of another market hit.

Buy one to get you up, the other to get you down.

Great idea! Let's get the country hooked on uppers and downers. Nothing wrong with that, right?

It peels off nicely, it's actually a vinyl sheet.

Thanks. It's a little late to try it at this place, since we're hoping to be out in a month or so, but I'll definitely have to try it at the next. We currently use heavy curtains but as far as I'm concerned the darker the bedroom the better. If I could get rid of the glow from the alarm clock I would.

Thanks. It's a little late to try it at this place, since we're hoping to be out in a month or so, but I'll definitely have to try it at the next. We currently use heavy curtains but as far as I'm concerned the darker the bedroom the better. If I could get rid of the glow from the alarm clock I would.

A hammer works:angel:

There is such a thing as room darkening shades. Years ago I bought them at K-mart. They work great. Worth a shot. :chef:

I recently went through a nasty bout of insomnia. I did 2 things that I believe made the difference.

1. I cut caffeine out completely. Scary, I know. Sometimes I'll sneak some in the form of iced tea but then I just make sure it's before 4:00 in the afternoon.

2. I go to bed when I'm tired. Sounds like a given but I had a "window" at night when I was really tired and should have gone to bed but didn't because I wanted to take advantage of as much time as I could without children being awake.

valerian, or valerian root, was more effective and helpful to me as a sleep aid, when i needed one, than melatonin and other otc sleep meds, like tylenol pm, etc. valerian also comes in tea form, in case you would care to take it that way. this supplement is also used for anxiety and nerves. good luck and sweet dreams. :)

Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? Since you work at night, you're probably not seeing a whole lot of sunshine, so you may be low & vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to poor sleep. It's worth a try. Also, people hate hearing this one, but are you getting enough exercise? 30 minutes of moderate exercise during the day (or rather, your awake time) can make a world of difference in your ability to sleep. It can be broken up, too. 10 minutes brisk walk before work, 10 minutes on a break, and 10 minutes when you get off...Better yet, don't you have a young son? A good old wrestling match would certainly count as moderate to vigorous exercise, depending on the boy. :) You could count that for a 10 minute session. Or am I confusing you with someone else? Sorry if I am!:ermm:

Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? Since you work at night, you're probably not seeing a whole lot of sunshine, so you may be low & vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to poor sleep. It's worth a try. Also, people hate hearing this one, but are you getting enough exercise? 30 minutes of moderate exercise during the day (or rather, your awake time) can make a world of difference in your ability to sleep. It can be broken up, too. 10 minutes brisk walk before work, 10 minutes on a break, and 10 minutes when you get off...Better yet, don't you have a young son? A good old wrestling match would certainly count as moderate to vigorous exercise, depending on the boy. :) You could count that for a 10 minute session. Or am I confusing you with someone else? Sorry if I am!:ermm:

Nice. Good advise for your new brother.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yup, that's me.

and yes, sound advice. now, if I can only get that 27 hour day...

thanks again for the tips, everyone. i'm on vacation starting right as of this minute, so i'm going to try to discipline myself to get better sleep, eat better (and earlier), and start exercising again.

and i'll have to check out valerian root.

Up until recently I was drinking 2-3 litres of soda a day and at least 3-4 coffees as well. Between a new family, a job with long hours, and trying to handle the cooking at home (because I just want to!) I thought I needed it all.

I cut it out completely. Now I drink 1-2 green teas every day and an absolutely insane amount of water.

I am feeling much better and have been sleeping so well that it makes me regret giving up on several years of proper sleep for some brown liquids.

My advice is to cut caffeine down to a minimum, and if you have one, get the tv out of your bedroom.

My Grandmothers doctor prescribed her 2 shots of brandy before bed and she lived to 96. Just sayin!

It makes sense and i've tried it some evenings with various different types of alcohol though you don't get much of a peaceful sleep. A tea is more effective I think.

Back
Top Bottom