"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #31
Head Chef

Warm milk before bed is my go-to, but I have more trouble staying asleep than getting to sleep. Alternatively, not food or drink, but having the radio on, low volume, seems to help. I can't listen to music, though -- that doesn't turn off my brain well enough -- it has to be someone talking that lets me drift off again, which can sometimes take hours. The only middle-of-the-night talk programming that I can find down here is the Coast-to-Coast show, that frequently takes on the subjects of aliens, ghosts, etc. The call-ins are usually so way out that there's nothing scary about it and it usually does the trick.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
Master Chef

I would also suggest you try a homeopathic remedy like Natura - Recue Remedy or Bach - Rescue Remedy. Both are safe even for children to use and relieve the stress of everyday life that keeps most adults from sleeping properly. They are available at pharmacies and health stores in drop form.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am a Chronic insomniac, it doesn't help that I have switched to sleeping at night (Night Owl) and have about run out of all OTC remedies, teas, visualizations, etc. I'll be talking to my doctor soon...I'm pretty sure it's all the odd hormone jumps going on.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie
Warm milk before bed is my go-to, but I have more trouble staying asleep than getting to sleep. Alternatively, not food or drink, but having the radio on, low volume, seems to help. I can't listen to music, though -- that doesn't turn off my brain well enough -- it has to be someone talking that lets me drift off again, which can sometimes take hours. The only middle-of-the-night talk programming that I can find down here is the Coast-to-Coast show, that frequently takes on the subjects of aliens, ghosts, etc. The call-ins are usually so way out that there's nothing scary about it and it usually does the trick.
Have you tried a white noise app? They have them for IPad, IPhone, BB, and Android. You can get running water, TV static, etc. We find they work well when we're in a strange hotel with street noise.

Ambiance for IPad is nice, and free. We also have a rather noisy fan running at home.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I always go with warm milk when I have trouble in sleeping. Turning the radio on with soft music also helps. As for the food that should not be eaten before going to sleep, I don't eat fried food before going to sleep. The oil keeps me heavy and gives me a heart burn. It is always better to eat your dinner at least 3 hours before going to bed.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I bought some Tylenol pm today - maybe that will help tonight.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I drink warm milk and take 2 tylenol - works like charm.

One of the problems I find with melatonin is that I have a horrendous headache the next morning. Asked the Doc about it and it turns out if you have low blood pressure or are taking blood pressure meds, melatonin is not for you - it lowers your blood pressure, hence, the headache.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for all of the replies again everyone.

i was tested for sleep apnea last year. i have a milder version called u.a.r.s.. fortunately, i was considered only a borderline case, so i didn't get the c-pap machine.
(it coulda been worse. it might have been called u-a.s.s ).

my breathing wasn't completely to blame for not being able to sleep, though. during the test, my brain became functioning enough so that it was determined that i woke up 28 times.

the doctor said it was fairly normal for midnight shift workers to experience these things.

i told the doc to look on the bright side. that means i fell asleep 27 times.

i'm going to try g.w.'s method, along with what the doc said was good bedtime hygiene. i asked him why he thought i slept in a dirty bedroom. he laughed and said that the term meant to block out light as best as possible, have the room on the cool side, and either wear ear plugs or use a sound machine. dw got me the latter for christmas, but i have yet to use it.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks for all of the replies again everyone.

i was tested for sleep apnea last year. i have a milder version called u.a.r.s.. fortunately, i was considered only a borderline case, so i didn't get the c-pap machine.
(it coulda been worse. it might have been called u-a.s.s ).

my breathing wasn't completely to blame for not being able to sleep, though. during the test, my brain became functioning enough so that it was determined that i woke up 28 times.

the doctor said it was fairly normal for midnight shift workers to experience these things.

i told the doc to look on the bright side. that means i fell asleep 27 times.

i'm going to try g.w.'s method, along with what the doc said was good bedtime hygiene. i asked him why he thought i slept in a dirty bedroom. he laughed and said that the term meant to block out light as best as possible, have the room on the cool side, and either wear ear plugs or use a sound machine. dw got me the latter for christmas, but i have yet to use it.
BT, I bought black contact paper/shelf paper and put it over the bedroom windows, no light comes in. And the window still opens and closes..
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

that's a good idea, fee, but i'm not sure if dw will go for it.

i put up really thick room darkening drapes over one window, but i still have to do the other.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
drink, food