"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I'd probably end up missing work the next morning but ya know, it might just be worth it for one night.
I just put the alarm clock on the floor and faced it under the bed. It would still wake me up, but I couldn't see the light.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
Senior Cook

I recently went through a nasty bout of insomnia. I did 2 things that I believe made the difference.

1. I cut caffeine out completely. Scary, I know. Sometimes I'll sneak some in the form of iced tea but then I just make sure it's before 4:00 in the afternoon.

2. I go to bed when I'm tired. Sounds like a given but I had a "window" at night when I was really tired and should have gone to bed but didn't because I wanted to take advantage of as much time as I could without children being awake.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #53
Executive Chef

valerian, or valerian root, was more effective and helpful to me as a sleep aid, when i needed one, than melatonin and other otc sleep meds, like tylenol pm, etc. valerian also comes in tea form, in case you would care to take it that way. this supplement is also used for anxiety and nerves. good luck and sweet dreams. :)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? Since you work at night, you're probably not seeing a whole lot of sunshine, so you may be low & vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to poor sleep. It's worth a try. Also, people hate hearing this one, but are you getting enough exercise? 30 minutes of moderate exercise during the day (or rather, your awake time) can make a world of difference in your ability to sleep. It can be broken up, too. 10 minutes brisk walk before work, 10 minutes on a break, and 10 minutes when you get off...Better yet, don't you have a young son? A good old wrestling match would certainly count as moderate to vigorous exercise, depending on the boy. You could count that for a 10 minute session. Or am I confusing you with someone else? Sorry if I am!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? Since you work at night, you're probably not seeing a whole lot of sunshine, so you may be low & vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to poor sleep. It's worth a try. Also, people hate hearing this one, but are you getting enough exercise? 30 minutes of moderate exercise during the day (or rather, your awake time) can make a world of difference in your ability to sleep. It can be broken up, too. 10 minutes brisk walk before work, 10 minutes on a break, and 10 minutes when you get off...Better yet, don't you have a young son? A good old wrestling match would certainly count as moderate to vigorous exercise, depending on the boy. You could count that for a 10 minute session. Or am I confusing you with someone else? Sorry if I am!
Nice. Good advise for your new brother.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, that's me.

and yes, sound advice. now, if I can only get that 27 hour day...

thanks again for the tips, everyone. i'm on vacation starting right as of this minute, so i'm going to try to discipline myself to get better sleep, eat better (and earlier), and start exercising again.

and i'll have to check out valerian root.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #57
Cook

Up until recently I was drinking 2-3 litres of soda a day and at least 3-4 coffees as well. Between a new family, a job with long hours, and trying to handle the cooking at home (because I just want to!) I thought I needed it all.

I cut it out completely. Now I drink 1-2 green teas every day and an absolutely insane amount of water.

I am feeling much better and have been sleeping so well that it makes me regret giving up on several years of proper sleep for some brown liquids.

My advice is to cut caffeine down to a minimum, and if you have one, get the tv out of your bedroom.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
My Grandmothers doctor prescribed her 2 shots of brandy before bed and she lived to 96. Just sayin!
It makes sense and i've tried it some evenings with various different types of alcohol though you don't get much of a peaceful sleep. A tea is more effective I think.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #59
Master Chef

So, BT, did you ever get that good-night's sleep? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drink, food