"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Food or drink that helps you sleep.

does anyone have favourite foods or drinks that they like to consume before bedtime to help them sleep?

i've only been getting about 3 hours of sleep at home and another on my lunch hour at work, but i could definitelly use a coupla more zzz's.

i've found a big glass of ice cold milk and a bit of chocolate helps to send me to dreamland when i get home in the morning. and when i say a big glass, i mean i drink almost a litre from a chilled beer mug.

gotta love ice cold milk.

so, what helps you sleep?

additionally, what foods can you not eat right before bedtime if you want to sleep?

i've found deep fried foods, more than a single slice of pizza, and things with lots of cheese and spicy meats tend to keep me up, or at least tossing and turning.

alcohol, especially red wine knocks me out initially, but after an hour or two insomnia sets in.

what foods/drinks do you avoid if you need to sleep?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Master Chef

Bucky my friend, I have taught myself some mild self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques that have become so ingrained in me that it doesn't matter what I eat or drink. No matter what time of day or nignt, if I want to sleep, I simply lay my head on a pillow, after nearly instantly relaxing my body and brain, and I'm asleep in less than five minutes, usually less than a minute. Let me explain it to you,

When you lie in your bed, lie on your back and close your eyes. Wait for you wife to sneak up with a large, rubber mallet...

I'm only kidding. Seriously, this is what I did, and now don't have to consciously do, as it happens automatically. Lay on your bed, facing the ceiling. Concentrate on every part of your body, starting from the soles of your feet, and ending at the top of your head. Relax each part, one at a time, until you are completely relaxed.

This is the first step that take your brain out of word and idea processing mode, helping you achieve the alpha state. Next, watch the spots that form in you view whenever you close your eyes, as if you were watching a good movie. Don't think about them. Simply watch them. You will find that they begin to take on shape and color, and turn into pictures and sounds. At that point you are dreaming.

As you practice these two techniques, you will train yourself to simply relax your brain and body, and over time, it will take no effort. You will lie down and get comfortable, close your eyes, and sleep like a baby. My wife is so jealous of me that I can fall asleep so easily, and so soundly.

Oh, and it really helps to have a dark room. Ambient room light interferes with your ability to watch the spots, especially if the light amplitude is changing.

Hope this helps you.

Oh, and sometimes I drink a glass of ice-cold milk before going to bed, but only because I love the flavor and texture of cold milk.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

<<<<snooooore>>>> gurgle, gurgle... ppfffrrrrtt!

ok, nevermind everyone. i just figured it out. i'l just read one of gw's posts...

lol, just kidding big bro. i'll try it, but disciplined techniques aren't exactly my strong suit.

i know, no one could have ever guessed that.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Head Chef

While not a food, melatonin tabs are a natural way to improve your sleep.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, sparrowgrass. i've tried melatonin, but it knocks me out for about 12 hours, and even then i wake up groggy.

my brain must be severely defficient in those "tonins" after working so many odd hours for years.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Half Baked

If wine works for you just increase the dosage! A drink or two will do it for me no matter how much pain I am in.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Following this thread eagerly.

I've never had a problem falling asleep but these days I wake up numerous times during the night and can't fall back to sleep readily. In my case it's age related. Most people sleep less soundly as they age. I guess I'll be pacing the floors in a couple of years.

I've tried melatonin and found it was a waste of time for me.

I try not to go to bed with a heavy meal sitting in my stomach. That's a guarantee of a fitful sleep.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Half Baked

My Grandmothers doctor prescribed her 2 shots of brandy before bed and she lived to 96. Just sayin!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Head Chef

I stopped taking melatonin because of the vivid dreams or vivid nightmares.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
My Grandmothers doctor prescribed her 2 shots of brandy before bed and she lived to 96. Just sayin!

...but did she sleep???

Tags
drink, food