"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #711
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds good to me.
A neighbor to the north who knows what I am talking about. I very seldom see it sold in these parts anymore.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #712
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Finnan Haddie. Every time I buy it, it never makes it to mealtime. I just pick, pick, pick until it is all gone. At least now that I live alone, I don't have to worry about sharing it.
My Canadian mother used to love Finnan Haddie. I thought it stunk, refused to eat it, and equated it with lutefisk. Apparently it's not the same thing.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #713
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
A neighbor to the north who knows what I am talking about. I very seldom see it sold in these parts anymore.
Nope, never heard of it before, but I love cold smoked fish, even fish I don't like cooked and I like haddock.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #714
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Nope, never heard of it before, but I love cold smoked fish, even fish I don't like cooked and I like haddock.
As I recall, it's AKA "Poor Man's Lobster". Think I would give it a try now if I could find it.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #715
Chef Extraordinaire

It is smoked Haddock. Haddock is a major fish here on the northern east coast. Unfortunately in years past it was overfished and limits were placed on the catch each boat would make. The numbers are starting to come up.

Haddock is a delicate white fish. I love it smoked (Finnan Haddie) or breaded and fried. At $5.99/lb. every so often I will treat myself to a rather large filet and fry it up. Then I pig out until I can't possible put another mouthful in me. But I keep trying until the last bite. Now I want some.

When my kids were small, if I told them we were having fish, they would have fled the house for hours. But I told them it was white chicken and they cleaned up.

My second husband was a commercial fisherman and at the end of each trip he would take the largest Haddock when they emptied the bag on the aft deck. He would filet it and bring it home. Never less than 10#'s. I would bread and fry the whole thing, and there was never leftovers. White chicken of the sea! I could eat it seven days a week.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #716
Executive Chef

Quote:
Finnan Haddie. Every time I buy it, it never makes it to mealtime. I just pick, pick, pick until it is all gone. At least now that I live alone, I don't have to worry about sharing it.
Quote:
Sounds good to me.
love "finnie haddie".gotta have a poached egg on top tho'!!i actually prefer undyed natural smoked haddock to smoked salmon these days.just skin the fillet & slice it as fine a poss,at an angle,across the grain.eaten raw,it's sweeter than salmon imo!!
what are you two ladies doing up at this hour.only 6:40am this side??
Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #717
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
As I recall, it's AKA "Poor Man's Lobster". Think I would give it a try now if I could find it.
addies right.the important thing is that finnan haddock are small & very sweet haddock,which are split & cold smoked on the bone,as opposed to being filleted.they are even sweeter when smoked & the flesh firms up nicely,hence the "poor man's lobster" name.originally from scotland,they are smoked over peat & "fresh or green"not dried,wood to give them the unique flavour.i like to poach mine then poach an egg in the fish liquor...ohhhhh boyyyyy!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #718
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
love "finnie haddie".gotta have a poached egg on top tho'!!i actually prefer undyed natural smoked haddock to smoked salmon these days.just skin the fillet & slice it as fine a poss,at an angle,across the grain.eaten raw,it's sweeter than salmon imo!!
what are you two ladies doing up at this hour.only 6:40am this side??
I am up because I took two pain killers early this morning and then slept the day away. So now I am wide awake. But I am getting tired after a three hour stint ordering clothes on line. I hate shopping for clothes.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #719
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am up because I took two pain killers early this morning and then slept the day away. So now I am wide awake. But I am getting tired after a three hour stint ordering clothes on line. I hate shopping for clothes.
ah hahh!hope the pain has settled addie.now off you go,bed time!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #720
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
addies right.the important thing is that finnan haddock are small & very sweet haddock,which are split & cold smoked on the bone,as opposed to being filleted.they are even sweeter when smoked & the flesh firms up nicely,hence the "poor man's lobster" name.originally from scotland,they are smoked over peat & "fresh or green"not dried,wood to give them the unique flavour.i like to poach mine then poach an egg in the fish liquor...ohhhhh boyyyyy!
I'd love to try smoked haddock. Ever have Danish, Bornholm smoked herring? IMHO, it's much nicer than kippers, though kippers are pretty good. Or smoked mackerel?