"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #161
Head Chef

Phew....long thread!!!

Reading some of those lists makes you wonder how they ever got to cooking forum in the first place. I mean... green bell peppers??? Not sure I could go 2 weeks without using them in something, even if it's just a garden salad.

That said, I'm definitely in the anti insect group. No bugs, no larvae, no worms. No fish roe, very limited on internal organs ( I do like duck or goose liver pate), no raw animal protein (oysters... yuck. Why would anyone eat something that you can't chew and savor?). I don't like eggplant (texture and taste both gag me) or sauerkraut. Okra is pretty bad too.

Love cilantro... salsa without chopped cilantro is just blah. I even add it to store bought salsas.

Frog legs... as kids in Wisconsin, we would spend the first half of the summer hunting them through the marshy areas around Balsam Lake, freeze them at a friends cabin, then on the 4th of July his mom would batter and deep fry them and all us kids would have a feast. And NO they don't taste anything like chicken, but they are still good.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #162
Assistant Cook

Fennel.
Any part of a fish that is not a fillet or skin. (although i can handle the soft bones of tinned salmon and anchovy fillets those bones are tiny)
Shark-Fin i simply would not eat because it is such a destructive/wasteful form of fishing. (In fact any foodstuff that is not collected/harvested/ grown in an Ethical manner.)
Many other rare body parts used in Asian cooking. :o

Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #163
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Hmmmm....thereís not much I wouldnít try. Well, anything that is still alive, especially insects. Oh, and those utterly gross half developed chicken eggs with the chunky surprise inside. *shiver*

But no sauerkraut? I love that stuff. Iíll often grab the jar from the fridge and just eat a forkful of it. Same with pepperoncini peppers. Vinegar is great! And frog legs are great too.

Shark is excellent. Some of the best fish Iíve ever eaten, but Iíve never tried the fins. We used to catch a shark every now and then when we were deep sea fishing. We never tried to catch a shark, but invariably they will bite. The bad thing is, they are a cartilaginous fish meaning they have no hard calcified skeleton. By the time you fight them for about an hour and get them on-board, their internal organs are more than likely ruptured and have slipped out of place (plus pulling them up on the boat can out fo the water will cause thier own body weight to crush their internal organs). No sense in throwing them back since they will die slowly that way, so we always had a big fish fry when we caught one.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

i watched an episode of andrew zimmern recently, and he was eating ecuadorian cuy, or bbq'd guinea pig.

now, i think i'd actually enjoy the little beastie, but then he just had to crack open the skull and suck out the brain.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #165
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Never had shark until a few weeks ago. We tried pan searing it. It was quite good. Judging from the texture, I believe shark would be excellent grilled. Gonna try that the next time I get my hands on some.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #166
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Never had shark until a few weeks ago. We tried pan searing it. It was quite good. Judging from the texture, I believe shark would be excellent grilled. Gonna try that the next time I get my hands on some.
Try it fried as well. Unbelievable!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #167
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I am not sure I'd really enjoy Civet de Roussette, either.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #168
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
no raw animal protein (oysters... yuck. Why would anyone eat something that you can't chew and savor?)
Ah but you can. Living on the Gulf coast, the oysters I buy are not only fresh, they are alive. It's a good thing they don't have little vocal cords to cry out while they're being chewed up. I suppose you don't care for raw tuna either???????

Buzz
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #169
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Ah but you can. Living on the Gulf coast, the oysters I buy are not only fresh, they are alive. It's a good thing they don't have little vocal cords to cry out while they're being chewed up. I suppose you don't care for raw tuna either???????

Buzz
Nope... had it as fresh as it can be on Little Cayman. Just don't like the texture of it... ate for happy hour mos for most of a week there. The Southern Cross Club is a fishing and diving resort, and about half the guests spent each day out fishing. The fish they caught often became dinner (fresh cooked seafood is incredible for someone like me from the US interior) or ceviche (sp??) with cocktails. I'm not a sushi person either.... rather have Buffalo Wings....
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #170
Sous Chef

Each to his own. Some don't care for oysters, haggis, liver, whatever. Question is, is it more mental than physical? I think so. I can make you a delicious soup that you would love ---------- if, you didn't know what was in it.

Buzz