"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #191
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I simply can't stand Peanut Butter.
To me, it is disgusting... I am getting sick just thinking of.
Enough already

Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #192
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Question is, is it more mental than physical? I think so. I can make you a delicious soup that you would love ---------- if, you didn't know what was in it.

Buzz
That is so true!I know in my case, not eating raw oysters is totally a mental thing! Can't get the picture of it frantically running around in my stomach out of my head...
Other than that, I would try anything at least ones. Well, if it's not alive.

And you're right with that soup too.
I fed people many things they claimed not to eat ever! Like bone marrow on toast, all kinds of offal, crab (in my mom's case) and they even loved it.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #193
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I applaud you, Hoot. I wish I could be like you about food. It would have saved me many long hours at the dinner table as a kid in front of a plate of congealing liver and onions! Seriously, there are a lot of things I just cannot eat. Stuff that isn't even "bad". I don't understand it but I know I would be violently ill if I tried to force myself to eat something that my brain is saying "no, no, no" to. And I'm not a wimp at all. I'm a mom now many times over and I worry about what they are and are not eating so I guess it's payback but I still can't eat liver and onions!

BTW Welcome to DC!
Some of the things I hated as a child I now love, such as rye bread, horse radish, radishes, raw onions, salt, etc. As we grow older, our tongues become less sensitive to some flavors. The caraway seeds that overpowered the rye grain becomes more subtle, even enjoyable. Also, our perceptions of food change as we age. Some things that I really loved are just not as good, and for the same reasons. It is now more difficult to find a pepperoni that has the intensity of flavor that I like.

Flavors that we like or dislike are an ever evolving sense as we grow and age. New experiences, and new knowledge help us to appriciate things that we didn't in our youth. On the other hand, we may learn to dislike some things we used to enjoy for the same reasons. Also, familiarity can "teach" us to enjoy flavors that at one time were distastefull to us.

My advice is to keep an open mind, and be adventurous. you can not know whether or not you like something if you never try it, and sometimes, if you never try it more than once, or in different ways.

By the way, I still hate mint, except basil.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #194
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I simply can't stand Peanut Butter.
To me, it is disgusting... I am getting sick just thinking of.
Enough already
Funny. In my 20's I hated peanut butter. But for some reason afew months ago I had the urge to try some and now I LOVE it.

Also several pages ago there was mention of White Castle. I tried it once 2 years ago and will never eat them again. The texture makes them taste like they're raw!

I HATE liver. Always have done. Used to have to have it as a kid but will never eat it again.
I also hate kippers, fish cakes, salmon, spam, corned beef. Just a few for starters.

My mum used to eat white bait. These are little tiny fishes complete with eyes still intact!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #195
Master Chef

pigs feet, frog legs, snails, clams, oysters, eels, brains , more things but can't think of them at the moment.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #196
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Hey Y'all,

I just recently came back and saw how this became a peanut butter post. Sorry but I had to chuckle. Peanut butter? Please!

Jim
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #197
Chef Extraordinaire

yuckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I think there are some things that taste differently on different people's tongues, due to some genetic wiring.

In my case, cilantro tastes exactly like plastic to me. And mango tastes JUST like turpentine in my mouth. Everyone I know enjoys both things, but I have to spit them out.

Lee
i love cilantro. hate mango, tastes like something rotten, and not in a good way.

there is no way i am eating a snail. that is what it is, even though has a fancy name.

but i do love brains and eggs, my southern upbringing i am sure

love orka, fried or boiled with butter. also a southern thing.

we are all different, aren't we.

babe
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #198
Senior Cook

I have to ask, what does brains taste like?

Jim
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #199
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Brains have a very neutral flavor with a soft consistency.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #200
Senior Cook

I was curious because I saw Alton Brown eat a big ole brain sammich on one of his shows and at first he didn't seem to like it much but then he acted like he did (kinda).

Jim