"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

For those of you who find White Castle’s questionable I completely agree, yet I eat them every chance I get. They do “slide” through your system but it is well worth it. I can’t comment on White Castle’s other foods I never get them. Eight sliders and a cup of coffee is the best hangover preventive/ cure I know.

Regarding other strange foods a Malaysian friend of mine said “I will eat anything that has its back towards the sun”. A few of the things mentioned here I have not tried, but would if the opportunity presented itself. Sure I like some things better than others but good preparation can make some nasty foods quite tasty. I have had tripe numerous times in my life and disliked it every time except a delicious exception while in Rome. I was hesitant to order it, but when in Rome……

Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #22
Master Chef

Oh boy.......guess I'll have to go through the alphabet to think of these:
A = Alligator
B = Brains.....any one see those old video that were really graphic and one showed people eating monkey brains
C = Callamari....I think I spelt that right. Had I never seen what it looked like to begin with I probably would have tried it.
D = Dove.....the thought that it may be a mate to another and the mates just living its life forever all alone keeps me from ever trying that......plus their too pretty.
E = Elephant.........that just grosses me out. Escargo..... they look like slimmy little buggers.
F = Fograh........see I don't even know how to spell that and don't care too.....looks like a diseased liver.
G = .....can't think of anything
H = Hearts.......need I say more
I, J, K = can't think of anything
Liver = Tried it refuse to ever try it again. Oh and Liverworst........
M, N = can't think of anything
O = Octopus.....those little buggers are just freaky
P = Pigeons, Possum
Q, R = can't think of anything
S = Snails........like I mentioned before
T = Tongue.......ewwwwwwww!
U, V, W, X, Y, Z = can't think of anything.

I'm sure there are plenty more. I'm pretty open to trying some things but cut little animals I refuse........or if I see it prior and it looks disgusting alive or slimmy or..........you get the point.......there isn't no way thats going pass my taste buds!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I refuse to eat brains and spinal tissue. Look up "Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy".

After that, the smell of cooked spinach makes me naseous. Raw, I love the stuff.

I'm not going to get into my MIL's cooking.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #24
cartwheelmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I refuse to eat brains and spinal tissue. Look up "Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy".

After that, the smell of cooked spinach makes me naseous. Raw, I love the stuff.

I'm not going to get into my MIL's cooking.
I agree!

Cameron
Old 12-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I'l try anything at least once & if I like it, I'll keep eating it! I tried raw oysters once & the first one I swallowed whole, but on the second one, I made the mistake of chewing it. I thought I was going to loose it in the middle of the resturant! I won't say that I'll never try them again, but I'd have to be starving to death first! I can't really think of anything else though. I tend to try foods that I don't like just to see if my taste has changed any. Somethings I like better now than I did a few years ago.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Oh I remember at an African food fair, there were caterpillars frying gently in the South African section. I took one look and took off. Having said that, as kids we used to catch locusts and roast them on open fire and crunch them. The thought of that now?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzles
Oh I remember at an African food fair, there were caterpillars frying gently in the South African section. I took one look and took off. Having said that, as kids we used to catch locusts and roast them on open fire and crunch them. The thought of that now?
I used to wait up for my dad to get off work at 11 pm on the weekends and we'd hang out together in his garage and eat sardines and crackers. Now that I'm older you couldn't get one of those slimmy buggers near my mouth
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I decline any sort of organ (which rules out haggis and "calf fries" as they're called in Texas ), insects, endangered species, or anything that could be a family pet, snake ( did try it, unknowingly, tough and dry .same for quail..if you want to eat something that tastes like chicken...eat chicken !) possem, armadillo....squid, oysters...........brussel spouts ( like tiny rotten cabbage! ) sardines, pickled pigs feet.....and, most especially OKRA, unless it's deep fried.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Following on Norma's "endangered species" (which I agree with 110%), I could not eat anything that falls into the house pet category, including rabbit To my Italian born DH this comes across as a bit strange, as rabbit is quite common on Italian dinner tables, but to me they are a pet! As well I could never eat horse meat, something that is still done in limited quantities in some places in Europe (donkey and mule are also eaten)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I used to wait up for my dad to get off work at 11 pm on the weekends and we'd hang out together in his garage and eat sardines and crackers. Now that I'm older you couldn't get one of those slimmy buggers near my mouth
I love sardines! Shall i trade them in for my locusts SizzlinnIN?You interested?