Food you wouldn't put in your mouth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara L said:
I have always had a feeling that caviar is one of those things that no one really likes, but they say they do so they sound chic! I love the scene in the movie Big, when Tom Hanks tries the caviar. I have never tried it, but that is the kind of reaction I picture most people really wanting to have!

:) Barbara

waving hands in air laughing wildly! never will forget that scene- CLASSIC!!! I see caviar in gourmet stores and bust out laughing- never fails!!!! AND (totally off topic- apologies) in the Money Pit when the bathtub falls through the floor and his laugh!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I think there are some things that taste differently on different people's tongues, due to some genetic wiring.

In my case, cilantro tastes exactly like plastic to me. And mango tastes JUST like turpentine in my mouth. Everyone I know enjoys both things, but I have to spit them out.

Lee

A friend at work is going to bring me a drink that she likes very much in the summer time called Halo-Halo. Here is a link showing what it is.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_Default_files/Philippine_Culture/halo_halo.htm

Now, none of my coworkers wants to touch it with a 10 ft. pole, and I don't guarantee I'll like it, but I'll taste it. She says it's one of her favorites. I will admit that I've never heard of "dessert beans" as she calls them, and she said they're not the same as our American kidney and garbanzo beans, and she had to describe the other ingredients as well. Jackfruit or kaong she describes as a bumpy fruit that is like yellow paper inside. You have to cook it for 3 hours with sugar to make it edible. Yum. And she really likes ube, which is a big Barney-purple yam, that the Filipino people make other desserts from as well. She doesn't make her Halo-Halo with corn kernels, which is fine with me, as that sounds like it would add just one more layer of lumpiness that doesn't sound appealing in a drink. Again though, she says it's really good, and there are no bugs or innards in it, so I'll try it. I'll let you know how it goes down.

BC

QSis said:
I think there are some things that taste differently on different people's tongues, due to some genetic wiring.

In my case, cilantro tastes exactly like plastic to me. And mango tastes JUST like turpentine in my mouth. Everyone I know enjoys both things, but I have to spit them out.

Lee

oh, thank goodness, I am not alone! I think cilantro tastes like lemon dish soap! patooey!

I have tried the following things and won't eat them again:

yams - too sweet
collard greens - bitter
oysters - just gross
beef tongue - it was OK, but once was enough
paella - too seafoody for me
squid - yuck
tamale pie - bad childhood memory (forced to eat it at the dinner table and have hated it ever since)
caraway seeds - Ewww!!

BlueCat said:
A friend at work is going to bring me a drink that she likes very much in the summer time called Halo-Halo. Here is a link showing what it is.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_Default_files/Philippine_Culture/halo_halo.htm

Now, none of my coworkers wants to touch it with a 10 ft. pole, and I don't guarantee I'll like it, but I'll taste it. She says it's one of her favorites. I will admit that I've never heard of "dessert beans" as she calls them, and she said they're not the same as our American kidney and garbanzo beans, and she had to describe the other ingredients as well. Jackfruit or kaong she describes as a bumpy fruit that is like yellow paper inside. You have to cook it for 3 hours with sugar to make it edible. Yum. And she really likes ube, which is a big Barney-purple yam, that the Filipino people make other desserts from as well. She doesn't make her Halo-Halo with corn kernels, which is fine with me, as that sounds like it would add just one more layer of lumpiness that doesn't sound appealing in a drink. Again though, she says it's really good, and there are no bugs or innards in it, so I'll try it. I'll let you know how it goes down.

BC

Bluecat! Halo-halo is a great dessert! It literally means "mix-mix'. It's essentially 12 to 15 different ingredients (different sweet beans, sweet cocunut strips, jackfruit, purple yam, coconut gelatin, etc mixed with crushed ice and topped with evaporated milk and a scoop of ice cream.) It's served in a tall milkshake glass. You have to first work on mixing up everything with a long spoon. Then enjoy each mouthful! The taste is unbelievable! It's a great summer treat! Brooke Shields was supposed to have fallen hard for halo-halo when she went to the Philippines decades ago.

SierraCook said:
caraway seeds - Ewww!!

Ahh, the great 'kraut debate in many Polish homes...

The Caraway seed or no caraway seed argument. I vote yes, my wife says no. She usually wins. :(

John

I have to add black pudding (blood sausage) or any other dish where blood is a main feature to my list :sick:

(Lol, but I don't mind a rare steak, go figure :LOL:)

SierraCook said:
I have tried the following things and won't eat them again:

yams - too sweet
collard greens - bitter
oysters - just gross
beef tongue - it was OK, but once was enough
paella - too seafoody for me
squid - yuck
tamale pie - bad childhood memory (forced to eat it at the dinner table and have hated it ever since)
caraway seeds - Ewww!!

sc, i gotta cook for you someday. several of the things that you mentioned are so good, but only if prepared properly. collards need a good piece of salt pork to start. paella shouldn't be too fishy, or too wet. i can make you squid several ways that you'd love (blanched in a salad, grilled with mae ploy and cliantro, teryaki with mango and sticky rice, etc.). and yams are good when mashed with some savory herbs and butter.

piccolina, i love black puddings, and german blutwurst, and blut pudding (not the same as sausages).

ronjohn, i've never had caraway in my sauerkraut, sounds good. the debate in my house is yes/no to caraway in rye bread.

qsis, i totally agree, it's mostly genetic wiring.

Tried, but never again:

pumpkin
anchovies
capers
porridge
turnips
oysters
mussels
blue cheese, or any high-smelling cheese
tongue
pawpaw
chicken soup
artificial chicken-flavoured anything!
white chocolate
custard apple
kangaroo
rabbit

Never tried, never will!:

guinea pig
cockroaches, spiders, mice or similar (wouldn't even eat the chocolate-coating!)
horse meat
dog meat
cat meat
monkey brains
okra
grits
rutabaga
jellied eels

Anyone else ever tried Beestings? (NOT pronounced bee-stings!) It's an old recipe for a sort of cake with a custard filling, where the custard is made from beestings - a cow's colostrum. It's very delicious, but these days ordinary milk is used.

Ugh, I'd forgotten about okra and probably with good reason. I can't stand the slimy things! :sick: I know many people love them (my dad adores them) but to me they seem like what slugs would taste like if they were briefly deep fried. :wacko:

Chopstix said:
Bluecat! Halo-halo is a great dessert! It literally means "mix-mix'. It's essentially 12 to 15 different ingredients (different sweet beans, sweet cocunut strips, jackfruit, purple yam, coconut gelatin, etc mixed with crushed ice and topped with evaporated milk and a scoop of ice cream.) It's served in a tall milkshake glass. You have to first work on mixing up everything with a long spoon. Then enjoy each mouthful! The taste is unbelievable! It's a great summer treat! Brooke Shields was supposed to have fallen hard for halo-halo when she went to the Philippines decades ago.

Well, now I have two votes for Halo-Halo! Come to think of it, most of the ingredients sound fine, although the "yellow paper" description threw me a little. And again, dessert beans are a new concept, but I like beans and coconut and yams, so I am looking forward to trying it. My coworker was very enthusiastic about how good it tastes. Thanks Chopstix!

BC

I don't care to try to eat anything with suckers, like octopus. And no bugs. I have a little trouble if I think too much about what a shrimp or a crab or a lobster looks like too, because to me they look like ocean bugs. I do like the taste of all of those ocean bugs though. Of course it goes without saying that I wouldn't eat anything that could be considered a housepet, and I'll throw duck and squirrel into that category too. The idea of eating something like that is just as repugnant to me as would be eating a human, so it needn't even be discussed as food.

Of foods that people actually like and I won't eat, I'm not a fan of cold fish of any sort, and I could live without most squash. I don't mind an occasional White Castle burger though.

BC

I'm still very leary of anchovies.

I know they're good on and in certain dishes, and I'm fine with that.

The problem is that I worked in a pizza place, and they used the cheapest, nastiest (no wonder anchovies get a bad reputation on pizzas) anchovies they could order.

When we got an order for a pie with anchovies, you had to grab them out of the refridgerated part of the station, and then PEEL them out of the nasty, coagulated oil that they were packed in before you could put them on the pizza. :sick:

Nasty!

John

raw bell peppers:sick:
pigs' feet
cool whip/miraclewhip/margarine (once in awhile i'll ingest one of these, but i'll grumble about it, and that's only when other people make a recipe and say it has margarine.)
other than that, i'm not picky at all.

Last edited:
Well, so far, I actually like most of the stuff listed as "never to be eaten."

Barbara, I LOVE caviar! Love it. Love it. Tasted it at a party my parents threw when I was 15 and crave it still. I love oysters and sardines and herring and anchovies* and squid and octopus and all of that stuff.

Escargot? YUM. Lobster is on my plate all the time.

Rabbit --ok. Sweetbreads -- ok. Fois Gras -- ok (but I object to how it's produced). Frog's legs -- ok (esp in asian preparations).

Heart/Brain -- not so much.

I don't like chocolate but I'll eat it.

I guess I'll try anything once.

*Cheap anchovies are pretty bad -- nice anchovies are heaven. I can eat a whole jar of them as a snack.

jennyema said:
I don't like chocolate but I'll eat it.

i was right with you jenny, but then you blew it.
how can you not like chocolate, with such a well trained and varied palate?

It's not that I won't eat it ... it's just that I don't like it much. I like german chocolate cake. But that's about it.

I would rather eat a huge bowl of collard greens (bitter? are you sure you've had them?) with oysters, capers, and a huge hunk of stinky blue cheese -- all of which I love -- than chocolate.

Probably shouldn't tell you what I think of ice cream ....:huh:

I love okra and grew it in my garden once. What's not to like about it?

Caper berries and olives, cornichons, a few great smelly cheeses, a fresh baguette and a nice bottle of wine -- HEAVEN!!

Back
Top Bottom