Food you wouldn't put in your mouth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ella/TO said:
Okra....ughhhhh, reminds me of little kids with colds that need a tissue.....get it????....ROFL
Gotcha Ella:LOL: my feelings exactly!!!:LOL:

kadesma

sattie said:
Any food where animals are mistreated.... i.e. foie gras or veal.

Ducks are force fed every couple of hours until their liver swells... that is how they get foie gras, veal... well not gonna go there.

Indangered animals... and uni (sea urchin), that was just plain nasty!

Foie gras is very popular here all the time and around Christmas time, even worse. Whenever people order it in a restaurant, I give them a mean look. the poor ducks can't even stand because of their enlarged livers. The only liver pate I eat(love liver) is when I make it from buying chicken livers, and making a pate out of them.

Sizzles

That has to be tough and I am with ya on the mean look!!! I like to watch Iron Chef and they use it all the time and that is what got me curious about it. Never knew what it was so I looked it up, now I wish I had not! :(

Poor duckies!:cry:

I simply love "yuk" threads on food forums. Whenever the ugly question of "what to cook for dinner tonight" raises it's ugly head, here we come.

Well, not exactly, but depending on your geo-location, people like stuff that others elsewhere abhor. Where I live nowadays, tenderloin is amongst the cheapest beef cuts you can buy. Having travelled widely, I have come to appreciate the taste of a lot of "yuk", compared with most members here, I guess.

kulikuli said:
I simply love "yuk" threads on food forums. Whenever the ugly question of "what to cook for dinner tonight" raises it's ugly head, here we come.

Well, not exactly, but depending on your geo-location, people like stuff that others elsewhere abhor. Where I live nowadays, tenderloin is amongst the cheapest beef cuts you can buy. Having travelled widely, I have come to appreciate the taste of a lot of "yuk", compared with most members here, I guess.

What kind of "yuk" are we talking about here?

I have just realised that I am not very keen on crocodile meat either. I have eaten it, and each time I did, I pictured this huge animal staring at me with open jaws.

not much grosses me out. not going to eat insects; don't care how chic or ethnically correct it might be. (I may try one if visiting parts of Africa or Australia, but that is an unlikely trip...still if offered by someone, might try one to say I did.) Would probably have trouble with a lamb's eye from the spit roasted critter, but to preserve the peace if offered at a tribal banquet, I would not dishonor the host. I have the greatest respect for the "code of hospitality".

No longer eat brains or raw shellfish for reasons of health. Cooked shellfish no problem. Love clams oysters mussels etc. Had eel and really like it. Had aligator and rattle snake and don't see much purpose in it except it's there so don't waste it. Good to know something can be done with it. (pretty tasteless stuff, but ok in an etoufe or jambolaya.)

Anything a hunter trapper or fisherman brings is pretty much good eats. Even had marshrabbit (muskrat) which can be made quite edible by a careful cook. Absolutely no fear of soul food...bring it on.

I don't have a big sweet tooth so I am not likely to choose a gooey desert or pie. prefer cheese.

Will not eat live goldfish. Will not drink bad beer or cheap wine. Not enough time in the world to enjoy the good stuff to fool around with the dregs.

food I wouldn`t put in my mouth would be something that`s been in some(one/thing) elses mouth for a start, like Tongue for instance.
I wouldn`t eat Brains either, I don`t like the smell or the idea that it might be thinking about your chewing style or dental work as you`re eating it.

NAAAAH!

Uni and giffelte fish. I've tried both and have promised never to put myself through that again!:sick::yuk:. Other than that, I cannot say I'd never eat something if I haven't tried it, once. There are things I'm not a big fan of, but that doesn't mean I'd never eat them again....but the uni and the giffelte fish, no way, no how, not for money, honey.

Odd, I started off thinking there wasn't much I wouldn't eat. But as I've been reading all these posts, I've repeated "no, I wouldn't eat that either" quite a lot. I'm not quite the omnivore I thought I was.

VeraBlue said:
Uni and giffelte fish. I've tried both and have promised never to put myself through that again!:sick::yuk:. Other than that, I cannot say I'd never eat something if I haven't tried it, once. There are things I'm not a big fan of, but that doesn't mean I'd never eat them again....but the uni and the giffelte fish, no way, no how, not for money, honey.
Vera, you've never had MY Gefilte Fish (that's how it's spelled) or you wouldn't say that! I learned from my Grammy who made absolutely ethereal Gefilte Fish twice a year, for Rosh Hashanah and Passover.

What won't I eat??? Well first off, I'm game to try most anything once. and there's not much I dislike enough not to eat again, but there are a few... Lutefisk, Haggis, (tho I've been told that what I had was NOT "the good stuff," so I might have to try some when I'm in Scotland next year), Chittlins, Andouillette sausages, Halvah, Cottage Cheese, Pepperoni sausage, Tofu, Raisins,

i'm pretty fussy about where the animal protein I eat comes from, so I'm not afraid of raw seafood, if it's pristinely fresh. I love offal, but a few experiences with badly prepared brains has made me shy away from them. I could be induced to try them again... The one thing I've never tried that I don't think I ever could is that cheese from Sardinia that has maggots in it. live maggots. crawling around inside the cheese maggots.... :ohmy: :sick: don't think I could get that down...

I'm usually game for anything at least once.

There are some things I think I'm abnormally sensitive too. For instance, I love the flavor of cilantro, but whole raw leaves completely overpower my mouth. When I make mango salsa with cilantro, I put a couple whole sprigs in that I've bruised with my knife - let it rest a couple hours - and then I take them out before serving. When the cilantro is minced and cooked in a soup, it's power is diffused, and it's fine (for me). I had "cilantro pesto" at a fusion restaurant once and I couldn't eat more than a couple bites. I tasted cilantro for about 6 hours after we left.

Same with any preserved fish. I love the flavor anchovies lend when blended into dressings or sauces, but whole anchovies or preserved mackeral completely overwhelm my palate. Canned Tuna - especially things like "Tuna Casserole" almost bring me to the point of gagging.

There are a lot of cheeses that have the same effect. I love the flavor of cheddar when it's baked into biscuits or just a bit on some apple crisp, but big honkin slices of it just don't jive with me. Bleu Cheese is another one. A little bit whisked into a sauce or crumbled on a dish is fine, but hunks or wedges just wipe out my tastebuds much too easy.

Any wine or beer with a strong bitter aftertaste. I like beverages that finish clean or with a slight sweetness. This also goes for improperly made (in my opinion at least) coffee and tea. I'm also not a fan of young red wines (for drinkning). I almost exclusively drink Rieslings and Pilsner Brews (my wine rack right now has about 20 Rieslings out of the 30 or so bottles I usually keep, and the beer in my fridge is all Miller). Grapefruit juice. Thats the type of flavor finish that drives me nuts. I feel like I need to drink even more every time I take a sip - and not because I want to - I just want to clean that nastiness off the back of my tongue! It starts great - the fruity flavors, the tartness, the sweetness... and then it devolves into this evil petroleum-pesticide film on the back of my tongue.

Oh - and if it came down to it and I was up in the Andes with no food, I'd say "Bring on the meat!"... :LOL: I'd come down into some Chilean valley with a leg slung over my shoulder having gained 10lbs... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
With me its fish. When my son David was young, he put some fish he caught in the down stairs refrigerator in the freezer compartment. About a week later I found out that refrigerator was not working. I opened the freezer door and just about passed out from the smell. I never gagged so much in my life when I had to clean it out. It had almost liquefied. Still after all of these years I can't stand the smell of fish. I know it's suppose to be good for you to eat, but I just can't do it.:sick:

Jikoni said:
Never say never but the thought of froglegs gives me a bad feeling all over.
I'll try just about anything once, but the one time I tried frog legs I swore I'd never eat them again. They were just plain foul.

I love escargot, oysters, caviar, venison, rattlesnake, gator and just about anything else. If I haven't had it, I'll usually try it, though I reserve the right to refuse chitlins, brains and souse. I have refused nato before also, and would still refuse it today.

Last edited:
Gator! had it only once, so far, at Black;s in Abbeville! :)

wonder what was so foul about the frog legs? I like them a lot. We used to go to Hammond to Phil Smidt's for Frog Legs when I was growing up. Fried, they're just like drumsticks (of chicken) unless, of course, they were old, or not prepared well. They have a very mild flavor, not unlike chicken! texturewise, too...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom