Food you wouldn't put in your mouth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phew....long thread!!!

Reading some of those lists makes you wonder how they ever got to cooking forum in the first place. I mean... green bell peppers??? Not sure I could go 2 weeks without using them in something, even if it's just a garden salad.

That said, I'm definitely in the anti insect group. No bugs, no larvae, no worms. No fish roe, very limited on internal organs ( I do like duck or goose liver pate), no raw animal protein (oysters... yuck. Why would anyone eat something that you can't chew and savor?). I don't like eggplant (texture and taste both gag me) or sauerkraut. Okra is pretty bad too.

Love cilantro... salsa without chopped cilantro is just blah. I even add it to store bought salsas.

Frog legs... as kids in Wisconsin, we would spend the first half of the summer hunting them through the marshy areas around Balsam Lake, freeze them at a friends cabin, then on the 4th of July his mom would batter and deep fry them and all us kids would have a feast. And NO they don't taste anything like chicken, but they are still good.

Fennel.
Any part of a fish that is not a fillet or skin. (although i can handle the soft bones of tinned salmon and anchovy fillets those bones are tiny)
Shark-Fin i simply would not eat because it is such a destructive/wasteful form of fishing. (In fact any foodstuff that is not collected/harvested/ grown in an Ethical manner.)
Many other rare body parts used in Asian cooking. :eek:

Hmmmm....there’s not much I wouldn’t try. Well, anything that is still alive, especially insects. Oh, and those utterly gross half developed chicken eggs with the chunky surprise inside. *shiver*

But no sauerkraut? I love that stuff. I’ll often grab the jar from the fridge and just eat a forkful of it. Same with pepperoncini peppers. Vinegar is great! And frog legs are great too.

Shark is excellent. Some of the best fish I’ve ever eaten, but I’ve never tried the fins. We used to catch a shark every now and then when we were deep sea fishing. We never tried to catch a shark, but invariably they will bite. The bad thing is, they are a cartilaginous fish meaning they have no hard calcified skeleton. By the time you fight them for about an hour and get them on-board, their internal organs are more than likely ruptured and have slipped out of place (plus pulling them up on the boat can out fo the water will cause thier own body weight to crush their internal organs). No sense in throwing them back since they will die slowly that way, so we always had a big fish fry when we caught one.

Last edited:
i watched an episode of andrew zimmern recently, and he was eating ecuadorian cuy, or bbq'd guinea pig.

now, i think i'd actually enjoy the little beastie, but then he just had to crack open the skull and suck out the brain. :sick:

Never had shark until a few weeks ago. We tried pan searing it. It was quite good. Judging from the texture, I believe shark would be excellent grilled. Gonna try that the next time I get my hands on some.

no raw animal protein (oysters... yuck. Why would anyone eat something that you can't chew and savor?)

Ah but you can. Living on the Gulf coast, the oysters I buy are not only fresh, they are alive. It's a good thing they don't have little vocal cords to cry out while they're being chewed up. I suppose you don't care for raw tuna either???????

Buzz

Ah but you can. Living on the Gulf coast, the oysters I buy are not only fresh, they are alive. It's a good thing they don't have little vocal cords to cry out while they're being chewed up. I suppose you don't care for raw tuna either???????

Buzz

Nope... had it as fresh as it can be on Little Cayman. Just don't like the texture of it... ate for happy hour mos for most of a week there. The Southern Cross Club is a fishing and diving resort, and about half the guests spent each day out fishing. The fish they caught often became dinner (fresh cooked seafood is incredible for someone like me from the US interior) or ceviche (sp??) with cocktails. I'm not a sushi person either.... rather have Buffalo Wings.... :angel:

Each to his own. Some don't care for oysters, haggis, liver, whatever. Question is, is it more mental than physical? I think so. I can make you a delicious soup that you would love ---------- if, you didn't know what was in it.

Buzz

BUGFEST!!!
Tomorrow is the NC Museum of Natural History's annual Bugfest.
Along with displays, they have a free bug-fet!
Last year they had ANTchiladas, scorpion stirfry, mealy bug cookies,
a mandarin salad with water bugs and some other goodies.

The cookies were actually quite good; the bugs gave it a nutty taste.
Everything else was NASTY.

Not because of the bugs... the DISHES were bad without the bugs. Very disappointing.

BugFest • North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

That's this year's menu. If I remember, I will take my camera and see what tasty
vittles I can capture!

There isn't too much that folks here in Louisiana won't eat. Matter of fact, if I see road kill on the way to work and then see it still there on my way back home I am shocked.

I basically would try anything once with the exception of bugs, roadkill and and most of the "pet"animals. I definitely cannot eat mussels because of a digestive problem and I will not drink gin again because of an unpleasant experience.

030711nutria.jpg

This little fella is a nutria. He is found in abundance in Louisiana swamps and bayous. He is an herbivore and supposedly really good eating from what I hear. I have actually seen this being offered at food stands at some festivals down here. I have yet had the guts to try this little guy. There is something that just doesn't sit right with me about eating a swamp rat.....plus the yellow/orange teeth just put me off. :LOL:

-Jim​

Back
Top Bottom