"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I bought some foodie stuff yesterday too. I purchased the KitchenAid adjustable pasta roller (Bed, Bath & Beyond - $59.95), but I have no intentions of making pasta. I do, however, bake pies, so I got it in order to roll out a uniform pie crust without having to mess with a rolling pin using my arthritic hands and wrists.

It outputs a 6" wide strip, so overlapping and sealing a center seam from two pieces, I can produce a crust wide enough for either a 9" or even 10" pie.

I find Black Truffle oil at a local damaged goods warehouse/shop for about 1/3 the price found in a traditional market.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Flour Child

White Truffle Oil is one of the many things I've purchased as a result of reading this forum ....even bought a set of All-Clad pans...this free forum is costing me a fortune

But I'm not wild about the Truffle Oil. Thankfully I only paid 9.99 (originally sells for 18.00) for a small bottle I found at Homegoods..."al Tartufo Bianco" from Italy. I think it's faily good quality. Wish I could mail it off to someone here who likes it but the seal has already been broken.

As for the Lemongrass (original post)...that's in a lot of Tai food dishes. I'm not wild about that flavor either...but lots of people love it

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

i bought some truffle oil last weekend and used it last night. I had a mushroom ravioli and per advice on here drizzled it over the pasta at the end. I did put an alfredo sauce over it as well, but there seemed to be a subtle taste and odor that didn't disrupt the meal, but added to it. It wasn't awful but it was interesting and tasty. i only bought mine for 7 bucks at Ross!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I have never seen lemongrass preserved in water, but it's worth a whirl. Lemongrass is used in Vietnamese and Thai cooking mainly. It has a lemon flavor that makes you a believer in flavor layering. I think it works best teamed with lime leaves and galanga. In using it, it is pretty much like a bay leaf - too tough to eat, unless you pulverize it. I bang it around a but, then drop it into the dish towards the end of cooking. If yo have not tried lemongrass before, google up a recipe for Tome Kha Gai - most everyone loves it and you will get the lemongrass experience. If you have trouble finding a promising one, I can type up mine, but not until after church.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Unless the water is acidified, get the lemongrass out ASAP and freeze it if you can't use it right away.
THANKS! It has citric acid in it, so I'm guessing it is okay? A friend has pickled LG, and when I've house sat for her, I've used it (that was what I wanted...). The store had fresh LG, but I knew I wouldn't use it right away so I didn't buy it. I usually plant LG in my herb garden, but I haven't preserved it. How do you freeze the fresh LG?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

The store has black truffle oil as well...but there wasn't a price on it. The white truffle oil was pricey enough <g>. But, my client is in that area, so I suspect I'll be back there...
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

truffle oil and risotto is so good!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
Senior Cook

i have a risotto fear i must conquer...maybe i'll try that combination this weekend!