"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Foodie stuff I bought yesterday

I had a meeting with a client in the "trendy" part of the city yesterday. The meeting went longer than I thought it would. DH wanted to get some stuff in the city, so we rode in together. I missed meeting him at the time we said we'd meet, so he went off to run one of his errands. While I was waiting for him, I went to a "Spice and Herb" store (not available where we are--there is only one grocery store). I bought white truffel oil, avacado oil, lemon grass (preserved in water) and cassia. Don't quite know what I should do with these...HELP!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

White Truffle Oil is a great garnish for a mushroom omelet. Do not cook with it or you will lose the flavor.

Avocado oil makes a great salad dressing base. Just add to your favorite acid and herbs.

Cassia is also called chinese cinnamon. Did you get the stick form?

Haven't used lemongrass.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Head Chef

I am green with envy. We have a spice store here but it is all the way across town and I don't think that they carry any of those things. It's hard to find those kinds of things in this very large mid-west town. And I hate to pay for shipping on the internet. I think I would probably have to go to Chicago to find the kinds of things that you picked up. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

The cassia are the buds. They do taste like cinnamon...I recall recipes that used these...guess I have to hunt for those!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Master Chef

Unless the water is acidified, get the lemongrass out ASAP and freeze it if you can't use it right away.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I keep hearing about truffle oil lately- what is so special about truffles?? I've never tried them. They are just mushrooms right? And truffle oil tastes like mushrooms? I love mushrooms, but never understood how truffles could be so much better than, say, portobellas. Enlighten me?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I keep hearing about truffle oil lately- what is so special about truffles?? I've never tried them. They are just mushrooms right? And truffle oil tastes like mushrooms? I love mushrooms, but never understood how truffles could be so much better than, say, portobellas. Enlighten me?
Truffles are fungus but they don't taste anything like "mushrooms." They grow underground at the bases of trees and you need dogs or pigs to sniff them out. Hence, they are VERY expensive.

They look like small potatoes and have a deep, earthy aroma and flavor all their own. Very difficult to describe but once you've tasted them, you are either hooked or hate them. Many people say their small is much stronger than their taste.

Because of their strong flavor and essence, they are used sparingly as a flavoring and not much as an actual ingredient. They can be shaved onto things like pasta or used to flavor an oil, or used as an accompanymentm or garnish.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Skittle check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle_(fungus) for the full story on why a truffle is not just a mushroom.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Thanks :) I had truffle mashed potatoes once at a fancy restaurant in Vegas once- I don't remember being particularly impressed, but maybe they didn't use enough for me to really be able to distinguish the flavor well enough. There were actual chunks of truffle though, not (just) truffle oil. Besides, I was more interested in the Kobe beef steak on my plate. Mmmmmmm melts like butter!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thanks :) I had truffle mashed potatoes once at a fancy restaurant in Vegas once- I don't remember being particularly impressed, but maybe they didn't use enough for me to really be able to distinguish the flavor well enough. There were actual chunks of truffle though, not (just) truffle oil. Besides, I was more interested in the Kobe beef steak on my plate. Mmmmmmm melts like butter!

OK, now you're talkin' my kind of meal!