Foods from the South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ermm:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Shoofly pie (or shoo-fly pie) is a molasses pie considered traditional among the Pennsylvania Dutch and also known in Southern cooking.
The term "shoo-fly pie" first appeared in print in 1926.[1] The name is commonly thought to arise from the fact that the molasses in the pie is so attractive to flies that they have to be constantly "shooed" away.[2]

I'm sorry, I thought your thread was about foods from/associated with the Southern Cuisine --- Not foods people in the South eat. --- Day in and day out there are more Egg Rolls eaten in the South than Shoo Fly Pie in 6 months. No one would ever associate Egg Rolls with the Southern Repetoire of foods......I don't think.

How about --- Mint Juleps

OK. Maybe not southern, UB. I stand corrected.
But growing up and taught the song, "shoofly", we were taught it was "southern".
To tell the truth, I wouldn't know what it was if I tripped over it.
Pecan pie, I know.

How 'bout Mississipp Mud Pie?

Pecan pie! (Although I am from California and pronounce it puh-cahn lol).

:)Barbara
I've lived in the South all my life [so far] and that's the way everyone in my family pronounces it. :)

one gigantic word:

G.U.M.B.O.!!!!!
Oh Yeah!

No doubt about it.

po-boys with chow chow

Any kind of po-boy!

Since y'all have about named all my favorites, I won't say more. :mrgreen:

Ramps? Doubtful at best. Ramps are indigenous to cool mountain & forest areas. In fact, one of the largest commercial purveyors of them in the springtime is located in Michigan, where they're harvested locally. Ramps are traditional "mountain" cuisine, not Southern. Sure, Southern folks enjoy them, but they're even more popular & even more populous in the north.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom