Foods from the South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YET?

Slow it down and it's "ya et?" A common Southern greeting of hospitality wanting to know if you have eaten or if you are hungry ... Yankees need a lot of words to say the same thing, "Have you eaten recently? Would you like something to eat?"

Down here it's:

Q: Yet?

A: Yep (I'm not hungry)

or

A: Nope (I'm hungry)

:LOL:

Last edited:
Fried Peanutbutter and 'Nanner Sammich!

(Elvis is in the house ... again ...) :LOL:

Take two slices of white bread and lightly toast them, smear one side with mashed banana - the other with peanut butter, put together like a sandwich. Put a pat of buter in a small skillet and "fry" on both sides like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

Look for these on your grocers shelf...Cooking directions are on the box, however it's basically 1/2 Cup grits -- 2 Cups water. The box says ready in 5 minutes -- 20-30 minutes is better. The longer they cook the better (creamier) they get...It's Ok to add a little water/milk along as needed! Cook very slowly!! Stirring often.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Y'all are making me hungry!!

How does one make grits exactly?

And is there a southern cookbook with all these in it?

One of our DC community members has a great southern cooking website and blog. Check it out: Southern Cooking Like Only Mama Can!

As for southern cookbooks, there are thousands of them. Many are very good, but some are not so good. Also, keep in mind that there are strong regional differences in southern cooking. For a good basic cookbook with clear, well-written explanations of techniques and regional variations as well as great recipes, here are two that I recommend:

The Southern Cook's Handbook by Courtney Taylor: http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Cooks-Handbook-Step-Step/dp/1893062708/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230901151&sr=8-2

The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock: http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Southern-Cooking-Revelations-American/dp/0375400354/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230901719&sr=8-3

The Quaker Quick Grits that Uncle Bob recommended are the most widely distributed national brand and are edible, but not great. Quaker also makes several varieties of "instant grits" which, in my opinion, are not edible and shouldn't be confused with the quick grits.

To me, the best grits are old fashioned stone ground cream style white grits, from a mill in the South. My favorite supermarket brand is Dixie Lily, but they are hard to find at the moment due to a recent sale of the company and their failure, to date, to set up a new distribution network.

Even better, order your grits online from one of the independent small mills. Google "stone ground grits" and take your choice of several. Pick one from the deep south if you want authentic, traditional southern grits.

One such source is Anson Mills, in South Carolina. They offer both yellow and white quick grits and old fashioned (slow-cooking) grits. I prefer old fashioned white grits: http://www.ansonmills.com/products-page.htm

This book has stood the test of time...I would rank it in my 10 "Southern" Books.

Enjoy!

I agree. I'm a big fan of Junior League cookbooks. Back in the 70's the Junior League put out a four volume collection of regional cookbooks, compiled from the best recipes in all of the various Junior League cookbooks published up to that time - The Southern, Eastern, Midwestern and Western Junior League Cookbooks. I have the full collection. They are long out of print but used copies are still available. I wish they would come out with updated versions.

Junior League cookbooks are almost invariably compiled with the greatest of care and pride by their members and include priceless heirloom recipes passed down within families and between neighbors and friends. The best of them are very selective and it's considered a great honor by members to have a recipe selected for inclusion.

However, these are recipe collections, not general cookbooks, and if you want to learn to cook Southern food you should still start with a basic cookbook such as those I recommended in my earlier post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom