"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I miss eating blueberries while picking them in Paw Paw, Michigan. You could eat all you wanted as long as you didn't waste any. They needed to go in your mouth or in your bucket. Mom used to tease about how they should weigh people going in and out and charge for the difference. LOL. We had so much fun!!! Kids picking blueberries sure beats kids playing video games...
Blueberries my grandkids keep picking and bringing them to me. Then I clean them and give them each a bowl of them and watch as they squat on the grass and eat, They love them and any kind of berry.
kades

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I stopped buying supermarket fruit for that reason. peaches and nectarines hard as a rock and tasteless. I remember ripe juicy peaches and hen you bit into them juices would run down your arm...
I guess it depends on your produce manager. I've been getting GREAT TASTING fruit from my local supermarket, including peaches and nectarines, which I have in my bowl right now. And yes, they drip down my arm while I eat them and they have a full, sweet flavor!

I am selective about choosing them while in the market, and once I get them home, I let them fully ripen before eating them. Most fresh fruit has about a two day window of perfection. I have found that a reliable source and patience are rewarded.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #53
Head Chef

Chocolate Chip Cookies- I think they were made by Nabisco. They were packaged in a wax bag in a box. They were about the size of a half dollar and had a swirl stamped on the top. I sure do miss them.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Pork brains are getting mighty scarce in these parts!! And a small can of herring roe is nigh on to $10.00!!!
Herring roe - i've never even heard of it being sold. sounds like something I would love. The only time I was able to get it is when I used to buy the whole herring, but nowadays FDA makes producer to cut stomach of the fish open and clean before salting.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Alix, I think we are all lamenting the modern pig. The pork industry has bred the fat out of modern pigs to the point where loin meat is very lean and therefore dry. Brining is a must now.

I've stopped buying loin cuts. I now buy pork sirloin, tenderloin and butt.
After having one of these you'll never want to eat supermarket or warehouse club pork again
Berkshire Pork Loin Chops - Buy online at Lobel's

Now if I could only afford them more often than for a special occasion
Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
After having one of these you'll never want to eat supermarket or warehouse club pork again

Wow! Those are pricey. We have a local meat processor about thirty miles down the road. They process local pork, lamb, and beef. It's far superior to Supermarket meat, and less expensive. I'd love to save up about $300 and purchase some meat in bulk.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post

WOW! Those prices are outrageous! I have no doubt the meat is excellent, but they are out of my range.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Herring roe - i've never even heard of it being sold. sounds like something I would love. The only time I was able to get it is when I used to buy the whole herring, but nowadays FDA makes producer to cut stomach of the fish open and clean before salting.
Here is a link to Perry-Wynn's Fish Company. This webpage hasn't been updated in a while but, as far as I know they are still in business. You can read about the company on the "About Us" page...it is a kinda sad tale to folks like me that grew up in this area and watched the decline of the herring population, and it's impact on the area.
http://saltherring.home.mchsi.com/index.html
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #59
Executive Chef

I miss the fruits and veggies from my grandpa's garden. I miss picking ripe tomatoes and eating them with just a little salt on them. I miss picking peas and eating them right out of the pod and snitching green beans as I helped grandma string them. I miss the black plums from the tree that died around the same time grandpa did. I've never had black plums that were as good as those ones. I miss his corn, and the tangerines my grandma put in the freezer because their tree produced more than we could eat fresh. I miss their apricots and golden cherry tomatoes and the zucchini bread grandma made from the baseball bat sized squash. I don't miss her vegetable hash, that stuff was gross, but I miss her baked chicken. She swears she only ever put black pepper on it but when I bake chicken with black pepper it never tastes the way hers did.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #60
Head Chef

Fresh green peas! What happened to them? I haven't seen them in the stores for eons.