"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

i miss quisp cereal. somehow, they were able to suspend an equal part of sugar with crispy corn meal, and when soaked in milk it made the most delicious, super sweet goo in a bowl.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #62
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i miss quisp cereal. somehow, they were able to suspend an equal part of sugar with crispy corn meal, and when soaked in milk it made the most delicious, super sweet goo in a bowl.
They sell it here. I haven't tried it though.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I miss eating blueberries while picking them in Paw Paw, Michigan. You could eat all you wanted as long as you didn't waste any. They needed to go in your mouth or in your bucket. Mom used to tease about how they should weigh people going in and out and charge for the difference. LOL. We had so much fun!!! Kids picking blueberries sure beats kids playing video games...
Chopper, you got that right about the Michigan blueberries. And almost anything that gets kids outside beats video games!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #64
Master Chef

I and my wife pick about 5 gallons of wild blueberries every summer. She has blueberry pancakes every Saturday. So that's one of the things I miss most, being able to eat the blueberry pancakes that I make. Being diabetic is a terrible thing. I make whole wheat blueberry pancakes every other weekend, and use just a bit of real, grade-b maple syrup on them. They are still very, very good. But I miss the pancakes that I make with white, all purpose flour. They are so light, tender, and fluffy, and moist.

When I die, and get that resurrected body, that's gonna be one of my first meals, blueberry pancakes with grade A maple syrup, made with wild Michigan blueberries and local syrup, if we eat things in the next life that is. I'm going to eat a stack of at least 9 of the little beauties. Oh, all right. I'll share.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Fresh green peas! What happened to them? I haven't seen them in the stores for eons.
i can't think of a snack much tastier than sweet young peas popped into your mouth straight from their waxy green pods....(english) peas can still be seen in many supermarkets year round, but i rarely can find them sold still in their pods. i read with great surprise at the large numbers of people in this forum for whom peas are one of the "yucky" foods to be avoided. i'm really mystified to hear them described as "mealy", do they maybe mean canned peas which imo taste nothing at all like the fresh ones? even frozen peas look but don't taste like fresh. one of my favorite summer garden meals consisted of tiny baby potatoes and fresh young peas, cooked together with a small amount of salt pork and served with nothing more than the delicious pot "liquor" and unsalted butter. i do so very sorely miss having a garden. miss it much more than having a house.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The foods I miss are the ones that were easily obtainable in MN...not in the store, but because my dad would take us fishing (walleye), gathering wild aspargus, morel mushrooms, wild blueberries, pincherries, chokecherries, high bush cranberries, and wild grapes. Venison, partridge, and wild duck. Those are the foods I miss. But perhaps what I miss the most is the start of walleye season which was also the start of wild aspargus season followed closely by morel season. And I miss going with my aunt and cousins to get fresh milk from the farm...we all fought over the cream at the top to put on our Frosted Flakes...

Maybe what I really miss are those times with my dad and extended family.

Wow that sounds amazing.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i can't think of a snack much tastier than sweet young peas popped into your mouth straight from their waxy green pods....(english) peas can still be seen in many supermarkets year round, but i rarely can find them sold still in their pods. i read with great surprise at the large numbers of people in this forum for whom peas are one of the "yucky" foods to be avoided. i'm really mystified to hear them described as "mealy", do they maybe mean canned peas which imo taste nothing at all like the fresh ones? even frozen peas look but don't taste like fresh. one of my favorite summer garden meals consisted of tiny baby potatoes and fresh young peas, cooked together with a small amount of salt pork and served with nothing more than the delicious pot "liquor" and unsalted butter. i do so very sorely miss having a garden. miss it much more than having a house.
I like canned peas fine, but it's the frozen ones that are mealy and blah tasting to me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm just the opposite, Z.
Give me frozen peas any day over canned. Canned peas remind me of lima beans.

I mith quisp, too, BT ;^)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

I would have to be living on survival rations of SPAM and canned peas before I'd eat either...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #70
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I like canned peas fine, but it's the frozen ones that are mealy and blah tasting to me.

I've found store brand frozen peas to be mealy and tasteless. A name brand (Green Giant or Birdseye) of baby peas is usually pretty good.