"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Head Chef

Foods I Miss

I got thinking about foods that we used to be able to get at the store that just aren't available any more. For instance, I miss old fashioned pork chops. There is just nothing like them these days. I know some folks say that pork steak will satisfy that craving but as good as it is it just doesn't taste like pork chops used to taste before we bread all of the fat out of them. Heck I remember when they marketed pork as the other red meat instead of the other white meat.
So what is it that you miss, you know, foods that make you salivate just thinking about them but that aren't available these days?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Post Oat Flakes (best cold cereal in the world!) and Team Flakes. There are still a few cereals that I like, but those were the two best, as far as I am concerned.

I'll probably think of a few more foods later!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

The foods I miss are the ones that were easily obtainable in MN...not in the store, but because my dad would take us fishing (walleye), gathering wild aspargus, morel mushrooms, wild blueberries, pincherries, chokecherries, high bush cranberries, and wild grapes. Venison, partridge, and wild duck. Those are the foods I miss. But perhaps what I miss the most is the start of walleye season which was also the start of wild aspargus season followed closely by morel season. And I miss going with my aunt and cousins to get fresh milk from the farm...we all fought over the cream at the top to put on our Frosted Flakes...

Maybe what I really miss are those times with my dad and extended family.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I got thinking about foods that we used to be able to get at the store that just aren't available any more. For instance, I miss old fashioned pork chops. There is just nothing like them these days. I know some folks say that pork steak will satisfy that craving but as good as it is it just doesn't taste like pork chops used to taste before we bread all of the fat out of them. Heck I remember when they marketed pork as the other red meat instead of the other white meat.
So what is it that you miss, you know, foods that make you salivate just thinking about them but that aren't available these days?
I miss the creamy tomato Soup in the bottle from Campbells soups.

They used to carry it in the store I go to all the time just for the soup...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I miss 5 cent chicken wings at the pubs. You can barely get them for under a buck each, now.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Pork chops here, too. And not just because of the fat, but I just can't find the same type of cut that I used to, like a miniature T-bone. They are either thin cut or thick cut, nothing inbetween anymore either. And yes, that tasty edge of flavor is missing.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Master Chef

I miss Rice Crispies with mini marshmallows, flavouring on crisps like Ghost Pops and Cheese Curls (they tasted way better a few years back, used to stain your hands with all that's bad for you!), Cherry Coke, Sour Balls (fruity flavoured hard candy in tins), the bag of bits inside whole chickens, Flambi (little cups of creme brulee type puds), Life Savers, unpasturised milk, tomatoes that actually taste of tomatoes!, real toffee, fudge (the proper kind made with butter, condensed milk and sugar)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

And Caramello bears and liqourice ice cream!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Pork brains are getting mighty scarce in these parts!! And a small can of herring roe is nigh on to $10.00!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

And BTW.....why isn't tutti-frutti ice cream sold anymore. I have searched high and low for nearly a 100 mile radius around home and it just can't be found!!
Had to make my own...Not too shabby either.
I just wonder is it a regional absence or is there some conspiracy going on???