"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I was under the impression that you can't bring food or beverages through the security checkpoint. Have to check that out.

Also, I thought because of possible severe allergic reactions in other passengers, peanuts are not a good idea.
You can definitely take food, but not beverages, through security.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
I was under the impression that you can't bring food or beverages through the security checkpoint. Have to check that out.

Also, I thought because of possible severe allergic reactions in other passengers, peanuts are not a good idea.
Peanuts or any kind of nut, do not seem to be a problem. When I last flew in May, heck, they were serving peanuts as a snack.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I was under the impression that you can't bring food or beverages through the security checkpoint. Have to check that out...

Check out the links Scotch posted. That's directly from the horse's mouth.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I often pack a sandwich or two for travel. About half the time I wind up tossing them but every once and a while they have been truly welcome. (one memorable time I sat on a pushed back plane for 4 hours) before returning to the mostly closed airport to spend the night on the floor.

My two standards are peanut butter and jelly (yeah - I know but I love them) and Boursin and sliced apples on pumpernickel. The latter is virtually crush proof :)
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Different screeners at different airports interpret the rules differently. Where as one airport will call peanut butter a liquid (not allowed) another airport will call it a solid (allowed). The guide that I use is if it is solid then it is ok if it is a liquid or semi-liquid I donít take it. Liquids purchased inside security can be carried on.
Bringing a packet of ketchup thru security can get you into trouble but when the burger joint past security puts one in your bag itís no big deal. Does it make sense? No, but not a lot that the TSA does makes sense.
Then you move on to what to bring that does not offend other passengers. Peanuts the airlines serve them so why not. But a tuna sandwich may not make you any friends unless you share.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
...Bringing a packet of ketchup thru security can get you into trouble but when the burger joint past security puts one in your bag itís no big deal. Does it make sense? No, but not a lot that the TSA does makes sense...
It makes sense to me. The burger joint past security has already had the ketchup packet (and everything else) cleared to get it past security. It doesn't have to be cleared again.

A terrorist could disguise potentially harmful/damaging liquids in innocent-looking packaging, including ketchup packets.

TSA is trying to keep us safe. I'm OK with that. Some of their rules may seem unnecessary or heavy-handed but they are trying to get the job done under extreme time pressure. Lots of passengers and carry-ons to check in a short period of time.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
. TSA is trying to keep us safe. I'm OK with that.
As a frequent flyer who regularly deals with these idiots I have to disagree with you. I donít see the need to list all of my encounters with the TSA where a TSA officer has violated the policy listed on the TSA website.
Want to hear the TSA ďkeeping us safeĒ?
For more prime examples of the actions of TSA officers check out the Safety and security forum at Flyer Talk.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Without listening to the video, I'll concede that may have been handled improperly.

I travel internationally and have NEVER had a problem with the TSA or customs or any other governmental organization. That's one story on the other side.

How about the hundreds of thousands of other travelers who pass through security checkpoints every day? 99.99% go through without incident.

Surely, you can improve your chances of not having an issue if you follow the rules.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Cook

I just got back from a trip from Seattle to Colorado Springs with my 10-year old, and my 4-year old... I have one of those baby packs with a cooler in the bottom, and I packed some baggies with cherries, jicama and cucumber cut into strips, a few apples, some goldfish, and a bag of trail mix. We took our empty water bottles, and bought bottled on the other side of the checkpoint. I even put three small cooler ice packs in the cooler compartment to keep my produce cold.
I didn't have any problem with security at either airport....my son did have his bag searched because he put a bottle of this "worm growing" stuff my mom got him, because the bottle was bigger than three ounces. I didn't even know he had done it till we got pulled aside.....stinker!
Good luck!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I think we are missing as important piece of info. How long is the plane ride? Some people have mentioned chicken, but if it is a 12 hour flight then that would be a bad choice.