"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
If the TSA officer would have followed TSA policy I could have sailed thru just like I had done at several other airports that month with the same shoes.
Please see the rest of my post that you did not quote where it talks about humans not being perfect at their jobs. Please also see Andy's post just above. We need to get back to talking about what foods to bring on a plane.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #32
Head Chef
How long is the trip and does the airport offer food past security? I know that ours doesn't, it's quite small, but once in bigger cities, one can pick up cheese sticks, fruit, granola, yogurt parfaits (like at the arches), and lots of other choices from the familiar chains, to others offering sandwiches, wraps, etc. Of course, one pays a premium price for food past security points in airports.
I've seen people pull out sandwiches they've made, (whole)fruit they've packed. Keep things relatively dry, in original packaging if possible, and get your beverages past security points on the concourse.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #33
Head Chef
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
As per the TSA blog TSA policy is to request that they be placed on the belt.
The TSA Blog: Shoes on the X-ray belt, or in a bin???...
That may be what the blog says, but TSA itself says this:
TSA: Travel Assistant

"Request" to a cop, TSA or otherwise, means "do it or else."

As for the OP's question, I don't think it's worth the hassle of bringing your own food. You can get something at McDonald's or Burger King or someplace inside the airport. True, it's more expensive than what you bring from home -- but that's assuming you get to keep what you bring and that it doesn't spoil (you cannot bring ice or freezer cold packs, which are gels).

You have enough to worry about on travel day without having to get up even earlier to make sandwiches or something that may be confiscated by security.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #34
Head Chef
Commercial food choices once past security are great unless you have one of the many food allergies!

I often travel to Wichita from Portland Or. I take Egg Salad Sandwiches and have never become ill from then - they are not left in a hot car for an afternoon after all!

I've also taken home-made Granola though I do not use peanuts. Cheese Sticks work well, Jerky, Chex Mix, and as someone said chocolate...for stress.

That worries me more is the recent news of baggage being looted by employees. If they can take stuff out - can't they put bad stuff in???
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #35
Master Chef
I don't bring food on a plane. If I did it would be a bag of carrot sticks and celery, maybe some nuts. The longest trip I've taken was from Orlando to Honolulu, from DC to Honolulu. But they gave us some food on the way. The worst was from Honolulu to Narita (Japan) and that is another story entirely, but I've never felt the need to carry my food with me.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote