Foods you hated as a kid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
When I was a kid I hated green beans but now I love them. I don't even know when that transition happened. So what is it that you hated when you were very young that now you are just fine with or even love?

Butternut squash. It literally made me puke when I was forced to eat it.

Now it's my favorite.

I have the same dislikes, except now I can tolerate lighty cooked broccoli. The second I can smell it...it's overcooked!

I hated pancakes, donuts, and waffles as a child. Now I love waffles...especially blueberry/flaxseed ones (still don't like pancakes and donuts though). I tasted a crumpet once at Dunkin' Donuts and liked that.

I hated black olives, bittersweet chocolate, and sharp cheese. Now I love them.

Cooked green or red cabbage (especially the pickeled cooked German red caggage) & cole slaw. Now I love cooked green cabbage but still can't stand cooked red cabbage or raw cabbage and mayo coleslaw!! I make oil & vinegar coleslaw dressing. I always liked raw cabbage green or red in salad.

My mother fixed chicken livers with rice & peas alot - I picked the skin off the peas because it was weird and mashed the rice & chicken livers together like mashed potatoes and gravy. I could not leave the table until my plate was empty or she'd make me eat it for bedtime snack, then breakfast until it was gone. The only thing worse than chicken livers with rice & peas is COLD chicken livers with rice & peas. I never, ever, ever fix chicken livers, ever, even if they were the last food on the planet! We eat peas & rice, alot; ironically, my husband's favorite veg is peas. I still play with my food, alot! It's fun!:cool:

White milk. And Daddy was a milkman.

Oh My Word!!! I can't even imagine not liking white milk. I could drink 3/4 gallon of milk every day. Unfortunately now I am lactose intolerant and if I have milk it has to be very low fat. In my opinion that is not even milk at all.

joesfolk, have you ever tried Almond Milk? Some brands are tastier than others. My daughter, who is also lactose intolerant, likes "365" from Whole Foods. I only use mine for cooking because I'm just not a milk drinker (unless it's in a milkshake) but it's called:
Blue Diamond
Natural
Almond Breeze

joesfolk, have you ever tried Almond Milk? Some brands are tastier than others. My daughter, who is also lactose intolerant, likes "365" from Whole Foods. I only use mine for cooking because I'm just not a milk drinker (unless it's in a milkshake) but it's called:
Blue Diamond
Natural
Almond Breeze

I just got some.The unsweetened is only 40 cals a serving versus 2% milk at 120.

Frozen green peas, they made me gag. Too mealy. My Mom got me to like peas by serving LeSeur early peas. Love them, but I still can't stand the frozen. I like all canned peas fine.

pretty much any vegetable. I had severe food allergies as a baby, and pretty much survived on soy baby formula until I was 4, so I guess that I never developed a taste for vegetables. I still don't love them, but try to work them in often because they are good for you. I can even tolorate roasted brussels sprouts!

I cannot deal with the taste of soy now, no soy milk, no tofu etc..

Back
Top Bottom